Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Uplander Rotors

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2012, 5:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more thing.....

Danny -

I'm thinking back to when I did the rears on my Uplander trying to remember having trouble getting the caliper off...been a couple of years but I know there was a hammer involved and I had to beat the caliper a little to loosen it up enough to lift it it up. I wouldn't hit it too hard, just enough to break apart the rust and such and pop it off the rotor...you'll get it! There's nothing else holding it on.
Old December 30th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Huge "THANK YOU" to 442dude!

Believe it or not, I have ben doing brake jobs since the mid 80's, but this configuration with it's various nuances that where not familiar to me, left me with questions. One thing I have learned fom prior experience is that trying to rip things apart with brute force usually means spending more money So if I get to something that's not clear, I start asking questions.

Unfortunately what was avaialable online and via YouTube was incorrect or not correct for this application. Thanks to this forum and 442due, I was able to breeze right though the front and rear brake jobs. (OK, the rear freaked me out until my dad came over and said, "You don't have the emergancy brake on, do you?") Do you know how many brake jobs I have done? I felt like a total idiot!

Lessons learned:
1. There is no such thing as a "Rotor Retaining Nut!" (The would be the hub nut.)
2. Newer model GM rotors have the addition of a T-30 Torx screw holding them in place.
3. Release the emergancy brake before moving to the rear brake job you idiot!
4. This model requires a special GM tool to screw in the rear caliper, not compress it with a C-clamp.

I have completed the video for the front end. I am having to upload it in parts. I should be complete by 01/01/13

Thanks again, 442dude!

Last edited by Danny Broyles; December 30th, 2012 at 7:07 AM.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Danny Broyles
Believe it or not, I have ben doing brake jobs since the mid 80's, but this configuration with it's various nuances that where not familiar to me, left me with questions. One thing I have learned fom prior experience is that trying to rip things apart with brute force usually means spending more money So if I get to something that's not clear, I start asking questions.

Unfortunately what was avaialable online and via YouTube was incorrect or not correct for this application. Thanks to this forum and 442due, I was able to breeze right though the front and rear brake jobs. (OK, the rear freaked me out until my dad came over and said, "You don't have the emergancy brake on, do you?") Do you know how many brake jobs I have done? I felt like a total idiot!

Lessons learned:
1. There is no such thing as a "Rotor Retaining Nut!" (The would be the hub nut.)
2. Newer model GM rotors have the addition of a T-30 Torx screw holding them in place.
3. Release the emergancy brake before moving to the rear brake job you idiot!
4. This model requires a special GM tool to screw in the rear caliper, not compress it with a C-clamp.

I have completed the video for the front end. I am having to upload it in parts. I should be complete by 01/01/13

Thanks again, 442dude!
OMG!!!!!!!! I completely forgot to ask you if you had the parking brake on!!!!!!!

I'm so glad we were able to work through it! You're very welcome!
Old January 1st, 2013, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up How To Videos

Here's the YouTube videos as promised. I may not have completed this brake job exactly to manufacturer specs, but it is completed and the wobble is GONE!

Hope this helps,
Danny Broyles
Old January 11th, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Active Member

Great work - I'm sure they will be super helpful!!! Nicely done!