Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

HUGE Mistake - Coolant in Oil

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2011, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE Mistake - Coolant in Oil

HUGE, huge error.

Added 8 litres of coolant to the oil instead of putting it in the rad.(insert laughter here)

I did this 2 weeks ago. Finally realized my error, took the van in to a shop, they flushed out the oil (with the coolant mixed in), replaced the oil, and added another 7 litres of coolant to the rad (the rad was low in the first place)

anyhow, the van has been running fine ever since, I haven't noticed a difference since this big screw-up. I would say the van was driven under 500KM before the error was noticed and fixed.

The mechanic said there's no way to tell if this caused any internal damage but it's possible that I escaped any damage since the engine seems to be running fine. The van has 129,000KM on it so they said because the engine is still relatively young it might be okay, just keep an eye on it.

Thoughts? Could it be possible that any major problems were avoided in time? Thanks!(insert laughter again)
Old June 30th, 2011, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Boo2011:

No one is laughing at you. We all make mistakes in life; some little, some big!

Glad that you caught it quickly. Did the engine overheat in that condition?

No one can predict what the life of your engine is now because of its running on contaminated lubricant. I have know folks who put gas into the tank of a diesel car and another who drove a car for many many miles with leaking head gaskets allowing coolent to seep down into the oil. Both of those folks had their respective vehicles flushed as you did and repaired any apparent damage and kept on driving the cars.

Time will tell. If luck is not on your side you will need a completely rebuilt engine because you may have spun the bearings due to lack of lubrication. Personally, I would keep a close eye on all fluid levels and just keep on driving it.
Old June 30th, 2011, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Thank Tony.

If you had to guess, what would you say the ballpark figure is for me to be okay? Right now the van has 129,000 KMs on it.. so if I hit, say, 150,000 KMs with no problems, might it be more likely to say the engine escaped damage?
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Vehicles with blown head gaskets leak coolant and water into the oil and can run for quit a while before the bearings go... if any damage was done its to the bearings...keep diligent on your oil changes...only time will tell...
Old July 1st, 2011, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Boo2011_

No way to predict the future.

As you can see, in2pro also states that only time can tell. If a bearing were already spun, you would hear it squealing or see it in lower oil pressure and/or clacking valves.

Four things I would suggest:

(1) Check the oil pressure after the vehicle has been driven at least a few miles. I assume you can press the odometer stalk on the dash to do so if your van is similar to mine. Continue checking it forever in every vehicle that you own.

(2) Consider having the oil drained and oil filter changed again after only 500kms or so to remove any more remaining contamination. It's a bit overklill but it's the only inexpensive thing that you can do and it will make you feel better.

(3) Diligently monitor the intake manifold gaskets to check for coolant leakage. You didn't mention the year of mfg of your van but the 3.4 engine has the generic problem of leaking. My son's van gaskets went 166km before his were changed and my van was voluntarily done at 100km because I thought it to be a wise investment. Our mechanic used Fel-Pro metal gaskets as replacements rather than the same old inferior GM replacement rubber gaskets. Also monitor the dip stick --- check regularly for oil level and any indication of coolant.

Your focus has been on the coolant in the oil but you didn't mention why your vehicle was so low on coolant in the first place. Do you know? Did it have an external leak? Never ever allow the vehicle to overheat -- it's a real death sentance to the 3.4 because of the head gaskets.

(4) Drive it!

My lady barber owns a Chevy small truck with the 3.4 engine and she now has 420km on the engine without any major work. May we all be so lucky!

Tony S45

Last edited by Tony S45; July 1st, 2011 at 9:00 AM.