Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

HELP!!! I need to revive my venture

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! I need to revive my venture

I have a 1998 Venture Van with a 3400 V6 in it. It has been a great second car but is now turning into a primary driver. A couple of months ago the battery died and I replaced it with a good battery, after this my problems began. After about 100 miles the van died while driving, like it ran out of gas. All the gauges light up and every thing seems to work right except the "go" part.

At the time I did not have OBDII reader so I started doing some checking into the problem the old school way, by picking parts and replacing them. I checked to see if the fuel pump was pumping and it looked like it was, so i replaced the fuel filter and called it good. It still did not start. So I moved on to the crank shaft sensors, and replaced them both. Still no go. So I put some starter fluid in the Throttle body by passing the mass air sensor and the car started up for a few seconds like it should. To me this indicated that the car was not getting fuel, so I replaced the fuel pump. After this the car still did not start.

So I found an obdII reader and pluged it in and got two codes back, P1651, and P0102. One sight I looked on said that the P1651 error could be related to a bad Powertrain Control Module. So I picked up a used PCM from anouther 1998 Chevy Venture with the same engine, and it still did not start. Also once I replaced this unit no error codes come up. I even tried the starter fluid again and the car started right up and died when it ran out of fluid. It still returned no error codes.

I also have put a screwdriver onto the injectors and I dont think I hear them opening and closing. I have also Checked the fuses but I am lost hear and really need to get this car running. Does anyone here have any ideas, or opinions that may help.

Thank you

Last edited by jonsalter74; February 24th, 2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: To add more information
Old February 24th, 2011, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

This could be a million things.

First check the coil packs for spark, check the plugs and the wires.

And if all checks out, make sure your fuel pump is working, and that you have a good fuel filter.
Old February 24th, 2011, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the imput on this one. I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter together. The Filter runs freely and the Fuel pump pumps fuel.

As for the ignition I put a timing light on all the plug wires and they are getting a signal. Also when I use starter fluid in the throttle body the engine starts right up.

Is there anyway that the car would not be opening the injectors? I tried to listen for them but did not hear anything.