Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

'02 Venture weird fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2013, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Venture weird fuel issue

OK, so, I've had all sorts of fuel issues with this van, but I'm confused on this one. I've replaced the fuel pump, and the latest one (aftermarket) whines really bad at times, so I'm wondering if it might be related to what's going on in that it might not be putting out enough pressure.

So, what it's doing is it won't start - sometimes first thing and sometimes after having run then stopped. I've got spark, so I know it's fuel. Occasionally if I keep trying by turning it over, it will start, but not usually. If I put starter fluid or gas in the filter area, it will then start and run. After than, it'll run fine until you kill it. Afterwards, it might start, and it might not.

BTW, no codes...

Your thoughts and time are appreciated.
Old August 4th, 2013, 6:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Update - I noticed that the fuel pressure regulator had a layer of gas on it the other day, but before I could replace it, the fuel pump went out. So, as it's still under warranty, I'm trying to get that replaced.

After that, I will check what kind of pressure I have, but I'll still probably replace the regulator.

Peace!
Old September 7th, 2013, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

OK, guys, here's an update:

Had to buy another fuel pump, 'cause the folks @ Global Automotive (in Miami) refused to honor the warranty. Got the new one in, put on a new fuel pressure regulator, and a new fuel filter. Worked fine for about a week, and now it's back to not starting up after it's sat for a while unless I shoot it with ether or gas in the air filter area. Of course, it doesn't do it all of the time either, and there are no codes, so it's really irritating.
Old September 14th, 2013, 8:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Another update - got a fuel pressure gauge on it, and then tried to start it. Pressure was @ 0 on the first try, and it increased ~10 psi each time until it finally got high enough to start. While running, the pressure was about 43 psi, and would go up as I revved the engine. Turned it off, and the pressure quickly started dropping off, which shouldn't be happening according to my Haynes manual. Turn the key back on, and the pressure jumped right up to 52 lbs. Started the engine, with the pressure gauge showing 43 lbs after it started, and pulled the vacuum connection to the fuel pressure regulator, and the pressure jumped back to 52.

With the new fuel pump, I'd think that the check valve was good, but it almost sounds like the line is draining. Any thoughts on what could be leaking/draining? I don't see any gas on the ground, I don't smell any around the van, so I don't think it's external.

Any thoughts?