Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

03 Venture not starting after 20 + minutes of running

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2013, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Venture not starting after 20 + minutes of running

I have a 2003 Venture that after being on for 20 plus minutes will not start. If i don't turn the car off it will stay running indefinitely, but as soon as I turn it off and try to start it again it will start for a second then sputter and die like fuel has been cut. No dash lights come on after it dies out to indicate it has anything to do with the Anti-Theft system. I have connected an OBD-II monitor to it right after it dies with no error's being read. Also when this happens I do not hear the fuel pump engaging when the key is turned to the "on" position like it usually does before it starts. This problem is random and happens to me a couple of times a week. And after letting the car sit for 20 to 30 minutes it will start up again and run fine until it happens again. All fuses and relay's have been checked or replaced in the front fuse box. Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea were to start looking as far as troubleshooting.
Old October 18th, 2013, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

hello,
attention to this text was obtained with the Google translator (and some changes on my part):

so that the engine stops unexpectedly then be able to restart after sooner or later, we must break the power of the PCM. In this case there is no abnormality DTC. the huel pump is on PCM control.

This is what I observed in 2009 on my 1999 venture.
The fault is presented in several forms: nothing when trying cranking and engine dies while driving.

Here's what I found: ( it could be different on your van )

PCM Power comes from interior fuse box on a single wire. , On my van this wire has been cut to be controlled by the anti-theft device added after factory (in my opinion). This device also allows the remote door lock. (Wire starter control was also cut to be controlled by the device). this device has other functions.

My problem was the connector of the device. This connector 13 points, for PCM alimentaion is undersized for the current that passes or female pin was not tight enough. The result is that the pin and associated wires were burned. So the connection was very poor causing the defects described above.
there could be fire.

must wire cooling so that the contact is operational

The anti-theft device in question is Texalarm AV2955-C. The unit is given for 15 amps continuous, but the connector does not allow it.
If you have this device, I can provide you with a plan to shunt wiring the son in question.

In either case, I invite you to follow the PCM power, since the box busibles to PCM (2 times 80 points). noted PNK wire color. PCM / PASSKEY cluster Fuse 10A fuse. PNK find this wire color on the PCM connector one way or another. This wire is "direct " but may involve faulty connectors. Place a mini lamp or LED with 500 ohm on this input PCM on this wire , to be visible while driving. Second point grounded. Check if the status of the lamp in the presence of the defect.

outside the PCM must be grounded.

Attention The defect may be upstream of the fuse, another check with the presence of the lamp power supply to the fuse. ignition fault?

Good looking
cordially.

I do not have the correspondence between functionswires and pin numbers for the PCM
If anyone knows it would be nice to broadcast.
Attention wiring 1999 and 2001 are very different...
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so from what im reading is the wire harness going to the PCM under the van is whats causing the faults? keep in my my van has never shut off in run. Its always when im driving it for a while then I shut it off to go into a store or something. I come back out and it acts like there is no fuel (starting for a second then choking itself out). But if it is the wire harness to the PCM I have looked under there before and there are 3 sets of wire connections that go into the PCM and I am unsure as to which one you are talking about.
Old October 25th, 2013, 7:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello

"it acts like there is no fuel (starting for a second then choking itself out)"

in fact "engine starts but stop immédiately"
the " good book" says :
1 loose or damaged wiring in the ignition system.
2 intake manifold vacuum leaks.make sure all mounting bolts/nuts are tight and all vacuum hoses connectedto the manifold are attached properly and in good vccondition.
3 Faulty emissions or engine controlsystems.

This morning I did two tests and you should hear the pump when (as soon as )the ignition is on.
In fact, it seems that the engine is started on the rest of the fuel pressure and fuel stops fault.

you can check this with a gauge pressure before the injectors, but here's what I would start with:

all turn around the fuel pomp relay in the underhood accessory wiring jonction block.
this relay has five pins.
you must get out relay and connecting it with wires , after identify, to check all its pins easily.
one pin comes from pump fuse 15A "hot at all times".
an other pin comes from ground to the coil of this relay ( color internal blk/wht)

identify the third pin , the second point of this relay, this wire comes from the PCM color DK GRN / wht. this is the command of this relay , 12 volts from PCM.

When the relais is on, the 12 volts is send to the pump fuel. pin 4
When the relay is off the pin 4 and the pin 5 are assemblyed ( fuel pump prime connector.)

When and only when, you are sure of your connections, you can put a 12 volt directly on the pump wire , listening if turning
if OK, pump has turned, you controlled the 12 v coming from PCM, if OK
you change the relais.

sincerely good check!