Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

1999 Chevy Venture no oil pressure and bad misfire

Old November 19th, 2016, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Venture no oil pressure and bad misfire

Hi I need some experts on here to chime in and give some advice. About 1 month ago I was out and the oil pressure light instantly came on and the van started jerking and misfiring so bad that it would not stay running. Oil level was fine. Oil light had never been on before just instantly came on and instant misifire. Van will not run long enough to check anything. The engine seized on me after I rebuilt the oil pump. I was starting it off and on and then it seized. So I replaced the main and rod bearings thru the bottom while the motor was still in the van. Not as hard as one would think. The crank looked fine and I plastigaged it and it was still within spec. Loaded the oil pump with vaseline, Read alot of success stories on it being ok to help prime the pump. Put it all back together and still the same problem. Oil light on and still bad misfire. Checked rocker arms all were tight but there was a few push rods a little loose, Not enough to hurt anything I would think. Could it be the camshaft bearings? Or bad lifters? Would bad lifters cause no oil pressure at all. Head gaskets were replaced back in the spring and van was fine until instant oil light about 1 month ago. Also took fuel rail up and the front 2 fuel injector holes near drivers side were full of gas to the point of coming out of the hole. What would cause that to happen? Really do not know what else to do in short of pulling the engine and rebuilding it. Please reply as soon as possible. Any advice is great advice to me.
Old November 19th, 2016, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

"Loaded the oil pump with vaseline," Ugh, do what?
Old November 19th, 2016, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Look it up it is a old school trick to help with priming the pump.
Old November 19th, 2016, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Or that is what I was told.
Old November 19th, 2016, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Is there anyway that my problem could be from a crankshaft position sensor?
Old November 19th, 2016, 4:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by joeshannallie
Look it up it is a old school trick to help with priming the pump.
Petroleum jelly is a solid. You want to prime an oil pump, chuck a drill to the pump shaft. Put the pump in an oil bath of that you will be using in your engine, slow turn it till you have oil out the discharge.
That is old school.
Old November 20th, 2016, 3:58 AM
CF Beginner

Petroleum jelly is a solid? It will dissipate with heat. There is several things on google about it and everything I read says it is fine because the heat will do away with it fast.
Old March 21st, 2018, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Crankshaft positioning sensors

Originally Posted by joeshannallie
Is there anyway that my problem could be from a crankshaft position sensor?
just had same/similar symptoms and it was indeed get a Chilton or Haynes manual there cans have 2...
Old March 21st, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

My problem was a broken camshaft. Sure way to know is take the front valve cover off and see if all lifters are working.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 1:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broken camshaft? Bummer. So the pump wasn't even turning? Thanks for letting us know what you found.
By the way, I know about the vaseline trick. Pretty common, especially if you install the pump but aren't going to run it for a few days and don't want the priming oil to leak out.

Search this Thread