Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

1999 Venture loud whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2011, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Venture loud whistling noise

Doesn't sound really like a pully or water pump going out, more like a true whistling noise. It's inconsistant and you cannot get it to consistantly repeat. Can be VERY loud at startup and when first driving. Seems to not be as loud (with the same consistancy) once the engine is warmed up. It's loud enough to hear at higher speeds, but is most noticable at lower speeds.

Doesn't sound really like a belt, pully, water pump but more like a loud whirring/whistle.

I saw some post somewhere about a potential air intake issue because of a clogged air filter. Don't think that's the case (clogged) but will check tonight. I also saw another post somewhere about a potential gasket failure causing the whistling. Since I can get it to whistle at a lower speed I thought about spraying down the engine with soapy water looking for bubbles. I assume that wouldn't hurt as long as I rinse it off. but sort of like checking a gas connection... the soap would bubble at the leak.

Just stumped.
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. No, not "soapy water." You want to look for a vacuum leak, i.e., air getting sucked into the intake manifold. Try carefully spraying the TB cleaner on the suspect areas (cracks, gasket mating surfaces) and listen for changes in the engine RPM. The additional "fuel" will raise the RPM.
Old November 1st, 2011, 1:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

WD40 is cheaper
Old November 3rd, 2011, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no soap

Yeah I thought about that after I posted that if it was an inflowing whistle I might be putting soap into the engine. I changed out the radiator yesterday, with success and will try the "fuel" method. That sounds like a good trick... then I guess I the next question will be how hard is changing out the intake manifold gasket is?