Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2002 Chevy Venture - Turns but no spark

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2013, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Venture - Turns but no spark

Seeking some help hear. I've been searching forums for answers on this and this seemed the best place to get help.

Short problem (more below): Can't start the van, The starter turns over, but engine won't start.

Background: was doing a number of maint updates (struts, rotors, pads, plugs, wires) After all said and done and everything put back together, hooked the battery back up and started up the van. No problems at all starting up, but it was misfiring awful.
Opps, I had hooked up one of the plugs in the wrong order on the coil. No problem, unhooked battery, rotated engine again figured out which wire was which in the back and hooked everything back up there, rotated engine back, and noticed I forgot to re-tighten the nut on the alternator (red power wire).
I then proceeded to be stupid and rather than disconnecting the neg battery again, I attempted to tighten the nut on the alternator. And, no surprise, accidentally dropped the ratchet handle which connected to top of the engine cover and sparks everywhere for a moment then nothing.

So tried to start the van after that and no go. the starter turns, but the engine does not start. here is what we tried (my brother and I)

- tested plugs, doesn't appear to be spark (pending confirmation with real testor for that)
- confirmed there is power to the alternator via the red lead in
- fusable links out of starter all appear in good shape (none burned through.. seen that before in another car)
- all fuses appear good inside and out
- relays may be ok, could get tested/replaced if that seems likely (opinions?)
- Ignition relay could be an issue, not sure how to test.
- battery charge is good.
- confirmed continuity across posts on coil packs
- no codes being thrown when checked

I'm looking for ideas on what else I should check.

Thanks for advance for any and all assistance!! We are in the middle of a snow storm here and the van in our only vehicle that can get around in this.
Old March 10th, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If you had sparks, my guess is you have fuse issues. Don't just "look" at them replce or at least check them with an ohmeter.
Old March 10th, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah we had tested all the fuses with a multimeter.

That being said, I just fixed the issue.

I'd like to say that in a fit of genius I figured out what was broken... But that would be a lie.

I went back in an removed the coils thinking i'd check them over. When much to my dismay I learned there were three plugs into the unit. I had only been plugging in two.

So while working on my own vehicles is often a rewarding experience, and generally money saving... It's a good thing i'm not a mechanic.

Thanks all! i'll likely be visiting often as I have more repairs planned for the van.