Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2002 Venture weird cooling/heating

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2016, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Venture weird cooling/heating

I have 2002 Venture, 62,000 miles on it.

Fall 2013 the check engine light came on. I pulled codes and needed to replace the thermostat. I also replaced the upper/lower hoses, the temperature sensor, and flushed the coolant. I thought I noticed cold air coming out of the heat, but ignored it at the time.

Fall 2014 - Spring 2015 I realized I definitely had cold air coming out of the heat while the temperature gauge went from 1/4 to half, but then it went back to 1/4 and would be heat. At two points the temperature gauge went all the way to the red, the light came on, but later settled. I bleed the coolant, and it was fine. I think it was reading hot air and didn't actually overheat.

Spring 2016, this started again with 1/4-1/2 temperature gauge and cold air coming from the heat fluctuation. Not as bad as before though.

ALSO: The coolant reserve is and always has been low, even when I add the 50/50 mix up to the line.

Currently trying to sell it as the body is in excellent shape but I'd like to know more about what could be up with the cooling/heating.
Old March 25th, 2016, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky head gasket

Sounds like a leaky head gasket. There is testing equipment that samples the coolant for exhaust gases to aid in diagnoses. If it is a bad enough leak you may see clouds of white smoke out the exhaust or "chocolate milkshake" oil on your dipstick. This engine is notorious for leaking intake manifold gaskets that have been chemically attacked by Dex-Cool (Google "Dex Cool settlement" or "dex cool problems", "dex cool intake manifold gaskets" etc). Also infamous for head gasket failure. Sorry, I hope I am wrong in your case. Good luck.