Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2002 Wrecked Venture Broken Motor Mount?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Wrecked Venture Broken Motor Mount?

Hi guys and gals. I'll tell you my story and ask my questions. Just got it after a friend wrecked it. He didn't have insurance and the estimates were over $4000 to fix it. I bought it for $500 - I just couldn't see it going to a junkyard. 100 K mi with a recent new factory motor.

The damage was bent hood, bent radiator (core) support, cracked radiator, fan housing and air box and broken grill, headlights, & starter relay. The accident pushed the core support and radiator almost back to the motor but didn't break anything on the motor. The air conditioning condenser was bent but not leaking.

I removed the hood latch and front motor mounts and replaced the starter relay. It started. Then we pulled the core support more-or-less back into place. I unbent the hood and replaced the grill, radiator and headlights with junkyard stuff, jb welded some of the plastic parts and put it back together. The hood still looks a little bent but it closes and opens ok. The biggest cosmetic issue is the 3/8" in gap between the fenders and the hood toward the front - but I can live with that. No leaks. Starts, shifts, and brakes fine. All systems and lights work.

Here's my problem which I admit I have not fully investigated. When taking off from a stop if I accelerate too fast I hear a fairly loud grinding noise like one of the motor pulleys in rubbing against the body. It makes a similar but not so loud sound when accelerating hard from 2nd. But I don't hear it at all if I take it easy or in higher gears. I don't see any evidence of any of the pulleys touching any part of the body or fan housing, etc. I put it in gear, brake on, rev it up and don't see any strange motor movements or hear wierd sounds.

I am guessing one of the supporting motor mounts is broken. Or maybe the front mounts/braces are so old/worn that they are letting the motor rub somewhere. Anyone with an opinion? I see one on-line store sells a motor mount that goes on the front right of the motor and a transmission mount.

Last edited by Lrayvick; August 13th, 2011 at 9:52 AM.
Old August 13th, 2011, 9:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you think its pulley related, briefly run it with the serp belt removed and see it the noise is gone.
Old August 13th, 2011, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

I don't see any evidence of a bent pulley or similar. Whether idiling or reving in park the motor revs fine, no bent pulley, wierd belt movement or loose alternator or air conditioning compressor.

BTW I forgot to mention we are driving it as is until I figure out the prob. As long as we keep off the accelerator from a stop it is fine. I enjoy driving it - good looking, adequate power, good visibility, smooth ride, good fuel economy, comfortable roomy seating, and no rattles.

Last edited by Lrayvick; August 13th, 2011 at 4:33 PM.
Old August 17th, 2011, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Upon further investigation I found two issues on moderately hard acceleration. One was the serp belt by the alternator was rubbing on the trans hydraulic lines. I fixed that. But there is still a sort of growl.

So I jacked it up and did a load test - foot on brake and accelerator. It sounds like the noise is coming from around where the exhaust pipe connects to the exhaust manifold. No visible damage. Anyone familiar with this problem? Is there a kind of flex joint that might be cracked?

Also when putting it in gear the motor appears to move quite a bit. This could be due to worn front motor braces/mounts, the things that connect the front of the motor to the core support. <!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->