Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2003 Venture, AC Compressor issue

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2016, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Venture, AC Compressor issue

Hello everyone,
I have a very strange AC problem with our 2003 Venture, 3.4L 6, front cooling only, 125K miles.
Today I was doing an oil change and noticed a slight clunking noise, engine running, AC is off. Looking around I saw the AC compressor clutch was engaged, I rechecked, the AC was definitely off. With the engine off I can easily turn the clutch. I disconnected the connector going to the compressor, started the engine and the clutch was still engaged ?? Also removed the AC clutch relay, same thing ?? Next I connected my gauges and saw the high and low side were at the same pressure, around 65 psi. Nothing changed from engine off to engine on, AC on to AC off. Also, there is no cooling at any settings.
So here's what I think is happening ...... I believe the compressor is doing absolutely nothing by evidence of the equal high and low pressures. The clutch looks like it's engaged because there is no load on the compressor and it's free wheeling due to maybe a stiff bearing or something else causing a drag that, if the compressor was good, that drag wouldn't turn the clutch with the AC off. Time for a new compressor .........???
Old April 8th, 2016, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

I would get it checked. A compressor with installation will run you $1000 US. Do you really want to waste your time and money on a 13 year old piece of junk?
Old April 8th, 2016, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well I wouldn’t necessarily call it a “piece of junk”. It’s given us many reliable years of service, nothing major has gone wrong with it until now. If needed I can change out the compressor myself for around $400, I have the necessary equipment to vac and charge, except for Freon recovery, to do the job. We'll see .......
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

are you positive the clutch is engaged and its not just the pulley turning? Equal pressures means the compressor isn't doing anything but if you've removed the relay and it doesn't release its stuck for some reason which would be very strange. Its possible there may be a short keeping the clutch engaged which in turn wore out or caused the compressor to fail.