Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2003 Venture Versatrak AWD system and rear wheel bearing problems

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Venture Versatrak AWD system and rear wheel bearing problems

We have a 2003 Venture with the Versatrak limited-slip AWD system. Recently there is a loud groaning noise from the rear and it gets very loud when above 50mph. I have found that when making a sharp left hand turn at fair speed the noise completely disappears until you straighten the vehicle out again - this does not work when making a right hand turn (noise stays the same). I have determined the noise is in the rear axle 'somewhere" - would I be correct in saying it is the left rear wheel bearing/hub assembly that needs to be replaced? I am wondering if there is also a carrier bearing in the rear that may have gone out and could cause these symtoms? I have looked online, but have found nothing on youtube or forums regarding working on the AWD Versatrak system. The van has 211,000 miles and we have owned since new - I have never had the rear differential serviced (nothing is mentioned in the owners manual about needing service) so I plan to drain and replace the fluid. Can I use Lucas synthetic rear diff fluid instead of Verstrak fluid or is there something unique about Versatrak fluid (besides its outrageous price per bottle - $25/qt and up! ouch!). Any help or insight with the AWD Venture Wheel bearing noise and/or rear differential would be appreciated (I believe the Rendezvous also has the same AWD Versatrak system)