Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2004 Chevy Venture Passenger Window Goes Down but NOT up

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Chevy Venture Passenger Window Goes Down but NOT up

The passenger side window goes down but not up - when using either the switch on the passenger door or the driver side door. I have removed the door panel and troublshooted a bit by switching the wires which worked to have the window go back up. I think that tells me the motor works. What would cause only one direction not to work? Any advice how to fix?
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The driver window switch is probably bad. Pull the electrical connector off the motor and then check both wires for continuity to ground. What provides this ground is the driver window switch. When you work the switch, you're switching in the power over one wire which won't do anything if the other wire isn't grounded.
Old January 21st, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks EinSt. So you think it would be the driver side switch even though it is the passenger side window that won;t go up? The driver side window works.
Old January 21st, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Veteran

If you could work the window from the driver window switch in one direction, that'd prove the wiring is good all the way. I think you'll find that one of the wires that goes to the motor isn't grounded at rest. If so, it has to be driver window switch.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, thanks again. I just ordered a new driver side switch and will keep my fingers crossed that it will do the trick! I will let you know.
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Hey EinST, you are a miracle worker! $16.97 for a new driver side switch on Ebay, installed myself and passenger window working again! Unreal. Dealer wanted over $80 for the part plus I would guess about $200 to install - that is if they even diagnosed it properly and did not repair unnecessary parts. THANKS AGAIN!
Old January 26th, 2012, 9:54 PM
CF Veteran

Congrats. It's really priceless when you fix it right and save money in the process. Thanks for the update.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have replaced a couple of the window switches in our 2003 Venture. Very common problem.

Another common problem that can be fixed inexpensively is a sticky window. Recently our drivers side window would go down in a hurry but go up about half way and then just creep & creep up inch by inch. Sprayed auto silicone down both window rails and now the window shoots up & down without any hesitation.
Old March 6th, 2012, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tony S45
I have replaced a couple of the window switches in our 2003 Venture. Very common problem.

Another common problem that can be fixed inexpensively is a sticky window. Recently our drivers side window would go down in a hurry but go up about half way and then just creep & creep up inch by inch. Sprayed auto silicone down both window rails and now the window shoots up & down without any hesitation.
I also have been dealing with that problem .
Cant tell you how many times I have pulled that door panel to check or align .
Even once replaced a motor . I'm sick and tired of spraying down the channel .
So soon I'm going to just replace the window weatherstrip /channel.
As I see no other reason for this flaw
Old March 7th, 2012, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Merture:

Please let we Forum members know the approx cost and difficulty of replacing the window weatherstrip.

Thanks.

Tony S45

Quick Reply: 2004 Chevy Venture Passenger Window Goes Down but NOT up