Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

2004 venture trany issues?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 venture trany issues?

Heres the problem. I bought a 2004 chevy venture minivan and was told it needed a trans.it wasnt a big deal as i am a mechanic . but when i got it home i noticed that if u rev up the engine in gear it acts like its slipping really bad then SLAMS into gear. It will work fine in every gear untill i shut it off and let it cool down. If i start it and let it idle for about 10 minutes and put it in gear it will work fine. Is there any way i can salvage the trany by changing a part somewhere?? p.s. changed tranny fluid and filter and no help, also checked and made sure trans cooler wasnt clogged.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Hmmm, that might be something bigger than the trans. I got a similar 04' Venture with around 100k miles on it from a local BHPH dealer and did so because of the age of the car and the amount of miles, I made sure it was certified to some extent.

Does your Venture have a warranty tied with it? If so, I'd take it to the dealership to see if they can work on getting a new transmission on top of a thorough inspection.
Old November 20th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

My 2002 did a spell of shifting real hard a couple of years ago, and when I looked it up, someone mentioned some kind of valve inside or around the torque converter that might need to be replaced. Something like a vacuum valve that would involve the shifting, but that's all I remember. It ended up quitting on its own, thankfully.