Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

98 venture 4ways/turn signal's work once in a while

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2011, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 venture 4ways/turn signal's work once in a while

heres my post from other forums that I got NO help in...

98 venture, 4ways/turn signals work randomly.

I replace the flasher switch(4 prong not 3 like listed EVERYWHERE!!! also completely diff wire colors than stated everywhere). Replaced the steering culumn ($40 at the junk yard or $400 for just for the 4way/turn signal switch)

nothing changed.

Got mad at a red light and punched the steering wheel, blinker started working lol

Tested grounds, fine.

Tested rear bulb sockets/harness fine.

Went to test front sockets, plastic was burnt around bulbs, both sides, metal connectors where ok but I replaced anyway(fine last year when i replaced bulbs) fine.

Found what wires had power when the 4ways where on/working (blue with white strip and light blue with white stripe)

Spent half the day yesterday tearing the dash out so I could trace wires (only help was a 7 year old girl and I let her take most of the bolts/screws out, wonder why it took so long lol)

Broke the dash free and went on a 2 hour walk with the fam to clear my head. As I'm walking up my street my 4ways are working the entire time I can see my van. Turned them off and took a break because of the long walk. 20 min later I tried my lights again and they started cutting in and out again.

Unwrapped my wires and found those 2 blue/white wires, moved them around and my lights worked, off and on, but I had some control.

Those 2 blue/white wires run into a box just to the right of the steering column, about where your right knee hits on the center console. With this written on it...

face, white sticker: 10407669 -(below 1st set of numbers) 8091

bottom: lectron roch, mi (this company is no long around BTW and most of the manufactures that do are also out of business lol) I did find 1 company still around but it's a weekend.

Not a clue what it is, but if replacing the wires don't help that's next to be replaced.

================================================== ======

ok, jumped the wires, nothing lol.

replaced headlight module, nothing (the black box with 10407669 -(below 1st set of numbers) 8091 on it)

retested all the grounds, 1 didn't work this time. followed to the under hood fuse box, tested from 1 end to the other, worked fine(don't understand because it's for the horn, so the fuse says, and that works).

in my adventures I did find another ground, 1 end tested fine but I'm going to track it down and test the other end/ end 2 end.

WTF do i do next??? I don't want to go to a shop but it's looking that way.

well back to the frying pan...this sucks

did i miss something to replace?

================================================== =====

I traced all the grounds, I think LMAO, and started on a hotwire test but my battery died waiting on my friend to give me a jump so I can start again tomorrow.

ANY ideas will help, don't care how stupid it may sound, I'll check it.
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

44 views and not a single idea LMFAO

I found some grounds that are not black, so I'm off to trace and test them.

Still waiting on my friend for that jump lol should be here in a hour. Then I'm testing all the hot wires.

QUESTION: could it be my computer?

I replaced those two wires i shook and now I have nothing. No other wires where moving when I moved those so I thought that had to be it, I was wrong. I've tried moving around all the wires at once and one by one and I still have nothing.

Someone has to have a idea out there, what haven't I tried?
Old July 9th, 2011, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

I got the 4ways/turn signals mostly working again. I rechecked the wires my friend said he did and found that the connectors where corroded and fell apart in my hands lol.

So I cut the bad parts out (5 of them) and soldered them. Now they work most of the time. While I was putting it back together I found another wire taped up that i'm guessing has the same problem, started to rain and hasn't stopped so I'll get to it soon.

I did find ANOTHER flasher switch. While I was putting my wires back in the sleeves something fell. Guess what, it says flasher switch on it...and I DUG through them to find that POS. So it's off to the junk yard to see if that fixes the rest of my problems lol.

keep u posted,
snot
Old July 14th, 2011, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

lets recap....

I did find bad grounds...

I found MANY bad wires due to water damage (going to caulk my window asap)

Headlight module, tested, told find...was bad...

BOTH flasher control switches...bad...two wires going to them, bad.

took me a week...best helper was 7 lol.

Got most of the panels back on, just left the ones off around the wind shield so I could caulk it.

I hate electrical work...

BTW EVERY door panel sticks in that POS...time for some metal screws, washers and the drill

thanks 4 no help...have fun