Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

98 Venture passlock issue? stumped...

Old May 16th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I am not totally sure it was actually exactly 30 seconds, not like I timed it lol. But it did run longer than usual on one occasion before it died. Could have just had enough fuel in the rail to fire up before the injectors were disabled. Im looking into a scanner that will pull bcm codes. Are you saying the resistor is in the key cylinder itself? As in where the the key is inserted? I thought it was in the plastic black box attached to the igntion cylinder with all the wires coming out it. Ive already read EVERY bypass thread, page, and diagram. None of them have the same wire color codes as mine. Thats why Im wondering if I have a variant or early system. It is definitely passlock tho... the one thing bugging me is there is NO security light ever. Ill never know whats going on in there until I scan the bcm.
Old May 16th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar issue with a 2002 Venture. Never had an issue with starting, key does not have a chip in it. Replaced head gaskets and now when running to finalize job I have this problem where car will start and run fine, but then - when shut off - it will not restart. Disconnect the battery for a couple hours, car will fire right up and run fine. If you shut off and restart within a few seconds, fire right back up. Shut down for 30 minutes, no start. Disconnect battery for a couple hours, fire right back up. I have recreated four times with exactly the same result. Must have done something during head gasket replace?
Old May 16th, 2015, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dougsbart
I have a similar issue with a 2002 Venture. Never had an issue with starting, key does not have a chip in it. Replaced head gaskets and now when running to finalize job I have this problem where car will start and run fine, but then - when shut off - it will not restart. Disconnect the battery for a couple hours, car will fire right up and run fine. If you shut off and restart within a few seconds, fire right back up. Shut down for 30 minutes, no start. Disconnect battery for a couple hours, fire right back up. I have recreated four times with exactly the same result. Must have done something during head gasket replace?
Hmm that is a weird one. I think over time the wires get corroded coming off the resistor and it triggers a false security issue. Im going to buy auto engenuity with the gm expansion for about $500 and scan all the modules for codes and proper use. Seems like the best bet short of a tech 2 scanner, as it can do dealer relearns on many things similar to the dealer tools... expensive but priceless in the end.
Old May 17th, 2015, 9:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

try autorepairmanuals.biz for the autoenginuity . Last time I looked it was $350. I have used it. It's fantastic.

the tech2 is obsolete. it is not used for any gm model after 2014.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
try autorepairmanuals.biz for the autoenginuity . Last time I looked it was $350. I have used it. It's fantastic.

the tech2 is obsolete. it is not used for any gm model after 2014.

Wow didnt know the tech2 was obsolete... auto engenuity is $249.99 on their website, and another $229.99 for the gm family enhanced package. The only problem with that plan is when I look thru the supported vehicles list it shows the 1998 u body platform as only having support for onstar. No bcm scans and whatnot?
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update!!

So I just went to scan it for s&g's with my elm327, got no connection to ecu and the cigar fuse is good. Im thinking there is no security on the 97 and 98 u bodies because I noticed there is no bulb in the security light slot on either of the gage cluster I pulled at the yard. Im am now leaning toward a possible pcm communication issue. Any thoughts?
Old May 17th, 2015, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

wish I could help more but I don't work for gm anymore and have no access to factory information. aftermarket information that I have access to is not comprehensive.
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

will the scan tool power up? if yes, the dlc is powered. checked for power and grd to the pcm.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
will the scan tool power up? if yes, the dlc is powered. checked for power and grd to the pcm.
The scan tool is torque pro on an elm327 transponder. It will not connect to the ecu. Ill be doing some more troubleshooting in the next couple days on it, ive been all tied up with one of the old 4 wheel steering honda preludes all weekend, but its all done now. I will check the power/earth to the pcm. Thanks for the input.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update!!! It runs... Kinda

So I tested for power/earth at the pcm, I have power/earth but I am not totally sure I probed all the right wires because online I see pin 21 being a pnk power wore to the pcm however I have an empty slot for pin 21, but I did probe a pink wore near the orange power wire. Both have power. The pinout is different on this 1998 van than 1997. But anyways I had the ecu hanging there in the bay and decided to try and start it because I could hear something near the injectors click when I touched ground to a pcm wire, and magically it started and ran for a few mins until I picked the pcm with it running then it died. I repeated this several times while looking for the broken wires in the harness, so far all ive found are some wires that look like theyve been shrink wrapped and bunched together. When I move the harness in this area it dies. So im onto something at least now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Venture passlock issue? stumped...