Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

AC Compressor Clutch Bearing? 2003 Venture

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2014, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Compressor Clutch Bearing? 2003 Venture

The bearing in my AC pulley is shot so I pulled the pulley off and it seems the bearing is built in to the pulley. The parts store sold me a bearing that was supposed to be what I needed but even if I could get the old bearing out of the pulley it would be too big.
Do I have to replace the entire pulley? If so, where do I get one? I haven't been able to find one online.

The vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Venture without rear AC. Submodel is either LS or LT.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 5th, 2014, 7:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you probably mean the a/c compressor clutch. I haven't done one on a venture. Just be aware some can be done easily with common hand tools, other require specialty tools.
Old June 5th, 2014, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you probably mean the a/c compressor clutch. I haven't done one on a venture. Just be aware some can be done easily with common hand tools, other require specialty tools.
That's correct.
I got the pulley off all right, but the bearing is not removable from the pulley and I can't find any pulleys for sale anywhere.
Old June 6th, 2014, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I searched napa. they don't sell a comp clutch. I did see a comp clutch bearing. the compressor may not be serviceable or easily serviceable.
Old June 7th, 2014, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

The clutch is built in to the compressor from what I can see, and the bearing is built in to the pulley.
The bearings I have seen for sale are not even the right size, so even if I could get the old bearing out of the pulley it wouldn't fit.
I think I'll try going to a pick & pull and get a pulley/bearing combo as that is the only thing I can think of other than buying an entire compressor assembly.
Seems like a lot of trouble for a used bearing though.