Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Best intake gasket brand

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2017, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best intake gasket brand

On my 1997 Venture it has a problem losing coolant pressure and I see a pooling of antifreeze below the thermostat housing. I notice it going low by losing heat inside and the temp gauge climbs faster than normal.

I've Youtube'd all I can find on how to go about changing the intake gaskets out for new ones. One question remains:

Which brand of intake gaskets have you used and what do you find the best replacement? I've seen ones from Fel-Pro, Victor Gaskets, Dorman (their kit comes with new bolts), etc.

Also, would you recommend changing out the bolts too?
Old February 3rd, 2017, 7:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

don't go with a plastic gasket. get the ones with a steel carrier

like this
More Information for MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ MIS16259
Old February 12th, 2017, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with felpro Fel-Pro severe duty set HST9071PT . I replaced mine aprox 20 months ago and haven't had to add a drop of coolant.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ven...acement-73257/
Old February 13th, 2017, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also look for over torque buttons

Agree with the steel frame gaskets, not sure but I think the Fel-Pro PermaDry Plus has three sealing rings and also over-torque buttons or a diamond shaped flange around the end bolt holes to prevent over-torquing. One or two of those end bolts if I recall correctly (it was years ago I did mine) cannot be torqued without a crow's foot socket which may change the torque by lengthening the effective length of the lever arm of the torque wrench. The temptation is to use a box end wrench on those hard to reach end bolts and either under torque or over torque. The better quality gaskets added "buttons" or a solid flange around those problem bolt holes so that they will not be over torqued. Some one enlighten me if I'm wrong. Also check the surface of the intake manifold for pitting. If you have pitting you may be able to fill then smooth the pitting with a hi-temperature metal epoxy. I replaced the bolts on mine but for the intake manifold if I was doing it again I wouldn't. Head gasket yes, intake manifold no, unless they are corroded or bad. Good luck.