Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Can't crank the van after re-installing existing battery.

Old January 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't crank the van after re-installing existing battery.

Recently purchased a used 99 chevy venture ls, couple days later battery died, took it off the van and took it to the Auto Zone to be tested and charged or replaced with a new one if is necessary. The old battery tested good and charged at AutoZone. I hooked it back up to the van, first try- couple clicks then dead, second try- nothing happened like there wasn't even a battery in the van ( no clicking, no lights, no door alarms, no dashboard lights, nothing ). Waited couple minutes, put the ignition key back in, there are lights, dinging sound etc. turn the key to start the engine, car went totally dead. I have no clue what is wrong or what I did wrong. Is there a reset switch to push , or fuse to check ( by the way I checkhed the fuses under the hood, above the battery, they all tested fine-working ) .
Thanks in advance, and any help will be deeply appreciated.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Was the battery load-tested? Hang a multimeter across the battery terminals and measure the voltage level with key in start. If the voltage drops sufficiently, it's a bad battery. If not, suspect the battery cables and connections.
Old January 27th, 2012, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Thank you for the warm welcome and the suggestion to my problem EinST. During my tingling with the fuse box ( to trace the wiring to check if there is any grounding, or short on wires, or connections ) I found out that when I pulled the fuse box out of it's location ( attached to a bar with clips and a screw ) I started reading 12.4 volt again , and after carefully moving/wiggling the fuse box around it's location where attached wires reach, I realized that I have a lose wiring in the box somewhere ( at least this is my hopeful diagnostics so far ) , since after carefully moving/locating the box and reading the 12.4 volt on my fluke, I managed to start the van again ( yay! ) . As long as I read 12.4 volt on my fluke between ground and the fuse box ( the single red wire which supplies power to the fuse box ) , I have no problem starting the van, but as soon box moves /wiggles even a hair ( moving fuse box closer to it's original location or wiggling the box ) I lose the 12.4 volt and I can't even hear a clicking sound when I try to start the car ( I get around 3.5 volt when this happens ) . Tomorrow I will try to open the fuse box and see where the lose wire is ( the one that as soon as I move the fuse box, I lose the 12.4 volt reading ) . Hopefully it will be easy task and will solve my problem. If everything goes well, I post which wire ( color/location on the fuse box etc. ) for future refence to following Chevy Venture owners.
Thanks again.