Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Chevy Venture Sliding Door keeps on sliding

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2007, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Venture Sliding Door keeps on sliding

Greetings,

Another post on my 2000 Chevy Venture. Don't want to seem unhappy with the vehicle, as all my luck withany vehicleseems to be bad luck.

This Venture has an automatic slider on the passenger side that will close and then just open right back up again. If you hit close (using the remote, ceiling button, pull on the handle, or theuse thebutton just inside the door) it reacts the same. If is is Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter (here in sometimes frozen Central New York) the same thing will happen. After a few tries sometimes it will click shut and not immediately reopen. Other times we just have to push on the back end of the slider to click and keep it in place. Some times it will not act up for weeks, then will act up every time we close the door for a while.

Dealer has been of no help. ServiceDepartment has worked on it but did not fix the problem. We have cleaned the metal contacts on the door and frame, thinking this would help, but it does not seem to be the answer. Any ideas on the cause? An explanation and permanent fix would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Lyle

Old January 12th, 2007, 5:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Chevy Venture Sliding Door keeps on sliding

I have a 2001 Venture with basically the same problem.
One thing that I found, was from the kids getting in and out of the back.Theywould step on the weather strip that seals the bottom of the door. Causing it to stick out further than normal which inturn would not let the door close completely. I just pushed it back on and the door would function fine. Another thing that I have found is, if the vehicle is on a slight hill the doors will reopen so I just move to a little different angle as to not be in that particular angle and that takes care of that.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Venture. I will come out in the morning and find that my side door had been open all night.At times the door will open whenever it wants and other times we can't get it to open. I would like to disconnect it and just use it as a regular door. Does anyone have any ideas? I have already used the lock button on my overhead and it locksbut the door can still be opened enough to where my "door open" light comes on so I have to go around and push on the door to close it all the way. It is very frustrating.
Old January 16th, 2008, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

My '03 Venture was doing the same thing. The dealer adjusted the "Tension" of the door and cleaned the contacts and it worked fine up until now. Now it won't open until you pull hard ont he door and it won't close all the way either. Back to the dealer it goes......woohoo.
Old June 12th, 2012, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

@tmmille9: I had the same problem with a 2004 Venture. After reading this post I went straight to the garage. Just as you said, the kids stepped on the weather stip. After putting it back in place the door operates like new! Thanks for the post!

Last edited by gjwinfrey; June 12th, 2012 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you!!!!!

This is worked for me! Thank you so much for posting!!!
-Amanda

Originally Posted by tmmille9
I have a 2001 Venture with basically the same problem.
One thing that I found, was from the kids getting in and out of the back.Theywould step on the weather strip that seals the bottom of the door. Causing it to stick out further than normal which inturn would not let the door close completely. I just pushed it back on and the door would function fine. Another thing that I have found is, if the vehicle is on a slight hill the doors will reopen so I just move to a little different angle as to not be in that particular angle and that takes care of that.