Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Air Compressor for Load Leveling Suspension Keeps failing

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2018, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Compressor for Load Leveling Suspension Keeps failing

Hi Everyone, new member here with a bit of a baffling problem.

Bit of background on my Venture. It's a 2004 with a disability conversion (lowered floor, ramp, etc). The suspension and powertrain are stock and the van has 60K miles on it.

A while back I had the compressor for the load leveling suspension replaced. It worked great for 2 years until March of this year when the dryer portion unthreaded and blew out. When this happened it took out the threads in the pump.

The mechanic who originally replaced the compressor went out of business due to age so I took it to a tire shop and they replaced the compressor. A couple of months later I drove the van to Temecula (150 miles each way) and the compressor failed. Made for a spine rattling ride in 85 mph traffic. It also gives this vehicle the ground clearance it needs to drive like a normal car.

So I got the compressor replaced under warranty and it failed again after 1.5 months. Replaced it AGAIN under warranty and it failed again yesterday.

I'm wondering if the shop is doing something wrong. This compressor seems like an oilless type but I don't know. Does this compressor use oil?

I'm at the end of my rope. Could I just eliminate the compressor and go old school with the shocks and use a Schrader valve to air up the shocks and have them hold their height for the a while. I'd like to have this just work for a while (longer than 2 months). I'm likely going to eliminate the load leveling system and just install heavy duty springs.

Thanks in advance for any info.