Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Code P0449 "Please Help"

Old June 11th, 2015, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Code P0449 "Please Help"

Hi Guys,

So I my check engine light came on. It was giving code P0449 which is the faulty Canister Vent Valve/Solenoid. The car was giving a smell of gas coming from the driver side right by where the EVAP canister/gas tank is.

I replaced the solenoid with a new one and reset the code.

3 days later the light came back on again and is showing the same P0449 code. Also, the smell of gas is still occurring.

Can anyone please let me know if you have run into this issue or have any knowledge on what else I can do to fix this.

I have already checked all wires and everything looks good.

This all started when I once over filled the tank while I was putting gas. Used to have the bad habit of keeping pumping gas even after the pump would click.

Anyways, please help.

Thank you
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find the problem?

Was it the vent valve? There are a few YouTube videos on replacing the vent valve on other Chevy's but I didn't find one on a Venture. Could be a cracked line or canister or even a bad O-ring on the gas cap? Hope you got it fixed.
Old June 17th, 2015, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

I have a new issue. At first I got the P0449. Replaced the Vent Solenoid and reset code. But now Im getting P0446. Replaced the Purge Valve. Code came back. Replaced Canister and code still comes back. I dont know what else to do. Could this be a bad PCM? This is on a 2001 Chevy Venture LS. Please help. Thanks
Old June 17th, 2015, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Sketchy grounds?

Looking at: P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
Quote: "Code also may refer to ECM detecting that EVAP system is unable to achieve or maintain vacuum during test." Combine this statement with the smell of gas and I would be looking for a leak.

I would think the PCM is the last thing I would replace because of cost and they are usually fairly robust. However corrosion or other connection problems can cause grounds to not sufficiently ground and cause all kinds of weird problems. If you can clean up connections and use a jumper wire with alligator clips to ensure an excellent ground from PCM to the body it may help diagnose or eliminate intermittent non-grounding as a problem. I don't fully know that system but it sounds like if it can't pressurize it will set a code, such as a cracked line/component or pin-hole leak somewhere or a bad gas cap? If you are smelling gas I doubt that it is a bad PCM, sounds like a leak doesn't it? Good luck, hope you find the problem.
Old June 17th, 2015, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ShortVenture
Looking at: P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
Quote: "Code also may refer to ECM detecting that EVAP system is unable to achieve or maintain vacuum during test." Combine this statement with the smell of gas and I would be looking for a leak.

I would think the PCM is the last thing I would replace because of cost and they are usually fairly robust. However corrosion or other connection problems can cause grounds to not sufficiently ground and cause all kinds of weird problems. If you can clean up connections and use a jumper wire with alligator clips to ensure an excellent ground from PCM to the body it may help diagnose or eliminate intermittent non-grounding as a problem. I don't fully know that system but it sounds like if it can't pressurize it will set a code, such as a cracked line/component or pin-hole leak somewhere or a bad gas cap? If you are smelling gas I doubt that it is a bad PCM, sounds like a leak doesn't it? Good luck, hope you find the problem.

Yeah, I will try to see if there is anything I can find in the vacuum lines. Will do update if I find anything. Thanks for the help.