Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Front end whining

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 8:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end whining

My 2000 Venture has abt 133K miles on it. My wife just recently had an eppisode of loosing oil while driving on the freeway - the oil pressure sending unit went bad and pored all the oil out. Once I got that fixed and took it for a drive I noticed that the front end is whining. It is a low pitched whining/humming, coming mostly from the front drivers side and mostly when turning a corner at low speeds and when the van is cold. It sounds similar to the whine of a gear box. At first I thought it was the CV joints going bad, but after reading some other posts I'm wondering if it is the wheel bearings? The front (and rear) suspension has been making noise for a while now when going around corners (squeaks and what nots). I suppose I'll shortly have the van up on jack stands again replacing the struts and checking the wheel bearings and CV joints. Any input on what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 8th, 2012, 8:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Ouch! I just did a search for wheel bearings and all I found was hub assemblies, is it possible to replace just the bearing with out replacing the whole hub assembly on my Venture? (I do have access to hydrolic presses and bearing tools.)
Old January 8th, 2012, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Also, what struts would you guys recommend for an inexpensive but quality replacement?
Old February 15th, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Monroe Quick strut is a good quick choice
If it were not for the noise your hearing while the wheel is turns i would say the noise your hearing sort of like you had snow tires on the car would be the tires .
I just had mine replaced and its gone
Bearings I would use the Timkin brand as you get what you pay for not China crap
Also check tour engine and tranny mount's as the collapse and cause noise also
If you need the engine mount I have 2 new extra ones I would sell cheep
Old April 30th, 2014, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar noise and it turns out to be the wheel bearings, but found a online shop to get a pair of beairng assemblies for only $86, I have not had time to install as yet. running into other problems gettingthe old ones off.
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Make sure you have a gear puller. These hubs get stuck in the steering knuckle. Don't go with the cheap hubs. I've replaced two cheap ones in the last three years.