Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Head Gasket Gone? K-SEAL?

Old January 16th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Gone? K-SEAL?

Hi, I just bought a 2000 Chevy Venture LS with 170,000 miles. Did some work about $500.00 worth and got it inspected. I replaced the following. 2 Tie Rod Ends, 2 New tires, New headlights and side markers, front rotors and brake pads and flushed the coolant system and also just the heater core. Had some black chunks come out. Flushed with water both ways and put air both ways then flushed water both ways again. Wanted to make sure I got most of anything out. YES I have bleed the 2 screws 3 days or so in a row and added antifreeze after I did bleed them. First mini van we have owned and I love it!! Well I "THINK" I know why she sold it for $450.00. Which I don't think is that bad. Only been driving it for about a week and every other day or so I have had to add antifreeze. When the temp gauge goes up I lose heat. When it drops I have heat back. What I have read in the internet these vans are known for head gaskets. JUST wondering if I should try K-SEAL first? I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. With the Quad 4 in it. Which couple times blew white smoke out the exhaust. And I was adding antifreeze about once a month. I added K-SEAL and ever since I did it I haven't added any more antifreeze or had white smoke come out. It's been about 6 months since I added it. Should I try to add K-SEAL? If so and it doesn't work will it be a pain in the as* when I change the head gasket with that stuff in the system? I'm very mechanically incline. I WILL buy Fel Pro Gaskets . Read a lot on them. I know the gasket kit is around $200.00. Any one have an idea what else I should buy and total how much besides the head gasket kit? Like new head bolts? I don't mind putting another $500.00 in to it since have little under $1000.00 in to it now. The vans in great shape. I'll try to post a pic.
Thanks, Dan
p.s. I would buy a dealers service manual. Not an after market one.

Last edited by guttafixit; April 17th, 2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added pic 1
Old January 16th, 2012, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

I put the K-SEAL in. Went 6 or 7 miles my temp gauge went up above half way and the only time it goes up there is when it goes to the red mark. When it half way it dropped down and hasn't gone beyond the mark above the quarter. The temp gauge only moves between 2 or 3 lines now. Before it was bouncing everywhere. I have all heat now. I do have to add some antifreeze since my light came on and off. It's from losing it before the K-0SEAL started to work. I REALLY hope this works on this van like it did on my Pontiac. If not I checked out how much it will cost me for parts. Under $300.00. Which I don't think is that bad. I'll post in a week or so and let you know if this K-SEAL is still working.
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by guttafixit
I put the K-SEAL in. Went 6 or 7 miles my temp gauge went up above half way and the only time it goes up there is when it goes to the red mark. When it half way it dropped down and hasn't gone beyond the mark above the quarter. The temp gauge only moves between 2 or 3 lines now. Before it was bouncing everywhere. I have all heat now. I do have to add some antifreeze since my light came on and off. It's from losing it before the K-0SEAL started to work. I REALLY hope this works on this van like it did on my Pontiac. If not I checked out how much it will cost me for parts. Under $300.00. Which I don't think is that bad. I'll post in a week or so and let you know if this K-SEAL is still working.
The head gasket isn't bad its the intake manifold gasket. Its made out of black plastic (the pieces you saw come out). Check in the Valley of the motor on both sides for coolant leaking out. it doesn't necessarily leak out of the engine, it will go into the intake about 50/50 of the time. This is the main issue with these motors not head gaskets. its not the worst job ever. If you want to keep the van get the upgraded metal replacement gasket set its quite worth it and will last the life of the car.

There are a few youtube videos of a gm 3.1/gm 3.4 (same motor different bore) intake manifold gasket replacement. You will really want to get a GM pushrod removal tool made by lisle for about $22. Carquest and other parts stores carry it.

its not a tough job, but you may have made a mistake with that goop ****, it typically causes more issues than anything because it will get caught up anywhere it is exposed to air in the system, not just where its leaking and can stop up the thermostat, radiator, water pump, and goop up all kinds of crap and eventually cause more cooling issues when the actual problem is resolved. Hopefully that's not the case.

~Nick