Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Help with Common Electrical Issues & Water Leaks

Old January 24th, 2017, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Common Electrical Issues & Water Leaks

2004 Venture. Yes, this is the minivan section and the responses are scarce. I have a water leak near and around the passengers side door fuse box. The water pools up on to floor channel which contains a wire harness. I now have no air shock pump functionality, an intermittent dead battery, intermittent stalling vehicle (with dead battery), but an alternator putting put consistent voltage.

I disected the fuse box circuit board - continuity is great. I'm about to look in to the harness in the floor channel. I did not find any parasitic discharge because it appears at random. Please share your wisdom. If I can fix this issue, I will share info in a video.
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:44 AM
CF Junior Member

I found a harness of **** wires in the passengers door jamb. One clearly broken. I NEED the service manual wiring schematics. Can someone please share it? I cannot for god sakes find it online.
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:53 AM
CF Junior Member

(So corroded it fell apart)
Attached Thumbnails Help with Common Electrical Issues & Water Leaks-20170124_221325.jpg  
Old January 26th, 2017, 2:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the service manual schematics. I have yet to look in to the wiring.
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I went through the wiring underneath the passengers side door jamb plastic cover. I've discovered that when I cut the wires and soldered in some new wires, I have things that WORK that I've never seen before. My rear air suspension works once again!

PS Admin: Please update your forum to support mobile browsers and Taptalk.
Old March 1st, 2017, 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

I created a video to help others who may have issues with interior electrical problems.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Update
-I finished repairing ALL solder connections under the passengers door jamb. I now have interior lights functioning when the doors open.
Name:  Screenshot_20170303-113326_edit_1488564740640.jpeg
Views: 257
Size:  123.5 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20170303-113215_edit_1488564710658.jpeg
Views: 251
Size:  143.6 KB

-On cold start, the voltage reading stays near 14.2v for 20 to 30 minutes. Than suddenly the security, traction control, and battery indicator lamp lights began to flash followed by the chime sound. At that moment the voltage suddenly dropped to 11.8v. As soon as I shut the engine off, the battery had 12.4v. I'm beginning to lean towards alternator failure. I have a replacement alternator which I am going to install.

-I logged OBD2 live data and everything appears to run as normal other than the short term fuel trims being negative.

-I inspected connectors and wires under the passengers side dashboard as well as the BCM connector pins and BCM circuit board. There is no obvious visual water damage or burnt solder connections. Everything under the dash is completely dry and corrosion free.
Name:  Screenshot_20170303-113500.png
Views: 268
Size:  420.8 KB

-I've cleaned and tested the main ground connections. I've also disassembled the main fuse/relay box and cleaned the connections.

-I have yet to trace the source of the water leak. From what I've read, the water leak is either from (A) loose roof rack mounts, (B) under the wiper cowl, (C) the roof mounted satellite radio antenna, or (D) the passengers door seal. I did confirm the roof racks do appear loose at the mounting points.

-And finally, my attempt at deterring any water build up in the floor pan.
Name:  Screenshot_20170303-113600.png
Views: 259
Size:  455.3 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20170303-113622.png
Views: 212
Size:  418.6 KB
Old March 4th, 2017, 2:10 PM
CF Junior Member

The van is fixed!

Symptoms: Fuel guage falls to empty, traction control light flashing, battery light illuminated, security light flashing, chime dinging, engine eventually stalls. Voltage drops under 12v.

Solution: Replaced Alternator. Also added 2 gauge positive and negative cables (poor ground continuity to engine block in my situation).

I pulled the alternator out without rotating the engine or removing the washer fluid reservoir. I had to bend the black wiper support bar forward.

Search this Thread