Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

High Idle After Putting in Gear

Old May 15th, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle After Putting in Gear

I recently picked up a 2003 Venture that needed a lower intake gasket and I'm having trouble finding a solution to an odd problem. When I start the van it idles fine until I put it in reverse or drive, and then when I return to park or neutral the idle is very high. I can shut the van off and restart it and it's fine until I put it in gear again. This problem was there before changing the lower intake gasket and after. It also accelerates on it's own when driving, like the cruise is on. Ive changed both the upper and lower intake gaskets, throttle body gasket, idle control sensor, throttle position sensor and cant find any vacuum leaks. The linkage to the throttle seems to be ok and when changing the gaskets the EGR valve didn't look blocked up. The temperature gauge is very erratic and moves up and down contantly. I'm wondering if the sensor for the gauge could cause the computer to think the engine needs more fuel. Anyone had this issue and found a fix? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
some movement in the temp gauge is normal, as for the idle you might want to clean and inspect the IAC and TPS and clean up the throttle body plate and return spring, just some places to start...
Old May 15th, 2011, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

The IAC and TPS have both been replaced and the throttle body cleaned and reinstalled with new gasket when the upper and lower intake gaskets were replaced. As of today it no longer idles well at startup and then goes high once put in gear like it did yesterday. Ive started it several times today and it's high all the time now.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

ECM is bad. Having several random electrical issues since last post