Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

I need some guidance, (tranny coolant line leaks)

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some guidance, (tranny coolant line leaks)

Hi, I am a new user on your forum.

I own a 2001 Chevy Venture... I have 5 kids and I needed a van and this one just landed in my lap. It's a really nice van but it has issues, the biggest of which needs the most attention the soonest...

My big problem is a leak, from the tranny to the cooler. I can't really access it from underneath, but I did find this leak by looking through the top. Both lines (in and out, I'm guessing) look awful and one is definitely leaking. I have to put fluid in constantly because with the 5 kids I don't have the time or the money to fully investigate and fix it at a shop.... I did narrow the problem down to this spot:

Where the two lines are clipped together, the metal parts of them, right behind the radiator, that is where the leak is. I really just need some guidance, as to what parts I need to purchase. I found all these different aftermarket parts pretty cheap at various places on the net, but I don't know what ones I need to buy. My goal is to replace both lines going in and coming out of the cooler. The cooler I am hoping is fine, the fluid seems to be coming from a line... so can anyone tell me what parts I need? I don't want to go in there and pull it all off just to find out I don't have all the connectors and hoses I need and not be able to put it back together.,....that would suck and I would be completely stranded.

I appreciate any response, and I definitely appreciate anyone taking time out to help me a little. I am pretty mechanically inclined, (and not to be sexist) for a girl. I do my own maintenance and simple repairs to save money, and to make my dad proud. He is a life long mechanic, but he is in ill health and no longer able to physically or mentally help me with things like this.

Sorry to be long winded... lol
Old April 13th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

First you have to find the exact spot where the leak is. I am not familiar with the Venture. Some lines have sections in the middle that have hoses, which are usually where they leak. It gets hard to replace a line from the transmission to the radiator especially if you have to jack up a car and crawl underneath it. The simplest and cheapest way is to find the leak and cut out the bad section with a mini tubing cutter and replace that section with a rubber hose. Make sure you use rubber hose rated for transmission fluid.