Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

o3 venture lwb roof leak???????

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2008, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o3 venture lwb roof leak???????

the van is dripping from the sun visor or the head liner control(temp,dir etc)
thought it might be the roof rack so i pulled it off and re sealed it and it made no differnce I am hoping that somebody could point me in the right directon

thanks
Old February 19th, 2008, 8:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: o3 venture lwb roof leak???????

May be leaking around the antenna. On the Ventures, the antenna in on the roof above the passenger side, so that may be the culprit.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Hi
I am having the same problem. I just came back from the glass shop. He told me that someone already added sealant to the windshield (previous owner). I don't have a roof rack. He heard from a customer that GM was replacing roofs (or the front part) because of leakage or some sort of perforation. I will check next week. He surmised that either my venture is having a problem with a metal seem-if a repair was done, or the previously mentioned dealer repair needs to be done (if this is actually true). He told me the best thing to do is to remove the front headliner and upper console in order to get a good visual and to verify the roof recall with the dealer (if the recall exists-if it was done).
Also, my driveway is on an incline. If I park nose up, no leakage. Nose down will fill the cup holder if it's left open.
Let me know if you find anything. Good luck.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 6:15 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

#PI01933A: Water Leaks at Overhead Console Map - kw body dome door front lamp light roof water window - (Apr 2, 2004)

Subject:
Water Leaks at Overhead Console Map
[align=left]

Models:
.[/align]

[hr]

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.
Condition/Concern:
Water leak at overhead console/map light. Water may also be coming through overhead rear HVAC control area or edges of headliner. Cause: There have been 5 areas identified as possible causes for water leaks, all of which can cause water leaking from the overhead console/map light area due to this being the low spot in the roof. Following are 5 causes of leaks and the corrections for each one.
Recommendation/Instructions:
Correction: #1: Windshield not sealed properly. This will most likely become evident by water dripping down the inside Of the windshield or by a damp headliner near the windshield. It is also possible for the water to find its way to the overhead Console/dome light area. Reseal windshield as necessary. Please note: the leak may not be at the windshield but in the urethane to verify this, run low pressure water under the windshield surround molding at the top corners. If you pull down the auxiliary molding slightly, you will see a hole to run the water in. If there is a void in the urethane, this will highlight it immediately.
#2: Sealant under ditch molding between B and C pillars. Voids in the sealant under the ditch molding (the molding covering the Roof-to-side panel body seam) have been found. Remove the black ditch molding for better access. There are several patch type seals in this area. Look for an obvious hole, a fold in the patch, or a pin hole. Also look for a fold in the sheet metal at the upper corner. Any of these will create a leak which could show up at the center of the windshield.
#3: Door weatherstrips not sealed properly. Voids in sealant under weatherstrips allowing water into body seam. Seal as necessary.
#4: Rear hatch wiring harness grommet poor fit. At some undetermined time, this grommet has been revised during production for better fit. Vehicles built previous to this change may have leaks between the grommet and body. Replace grommet and/or seal grommet to body.
#5: Roof rack grommet leaks. Leaks between grommets and roof; seal grommet as appropriate.
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.
Models:
(1997-04 Pontiac Montana) and (1997-04 Oldsmobile Silhouette) and (1997-04 Chevrolet Venture)
Old February 12th, 2016, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Van leak from headliner and temp controls

Originally Posted by marcocor
thought it might be the roof rack so i pulled it off and re sealed it and it made no differnce I am hoping that somebody could point me in the right directon

thanks
Finally figured out where our leak was coming from after sealing the heck out of everything we thought the leak was coming from.. It was from 2 holes from the molding when you open your driver door and passenger door look right about where the windshield meets you'll see the holes that need sealer. We inserted a little piece of molding foam we had left over from a house project before sealing it.. Hope this solves your problem also.
Old February 12th, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Headliner leak by temp control Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocor

thanks
Finally figured out where our leak was coming from after sealing the heck out of everything we thought the leak was coming from.. It was from 2 holes from the molding when you open your driver door and passenger door look right about where the windshield meets you'll see the holes that need sealer. We inserted a little piece of molding foam we had left over from a house project before sealing it.. Hope this solves your problem also.
Old February 12th, 2016, 8:23 PM
CF Active Member

If marcocor's Venture is still leaking after 8 years...

But glad you found a solution and posted it for people in the future. Something else that might help future people...describe you Venture (year, swb or lwb).

Welcome to the forum!
Old April 8th, 2016, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Guaranteed if you have an 03 Venture it is rusted and leaks around the windshield. Pull back the headliner and prepared to be scared. Junk it.
Old April 9th, 2016, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

My wife & I experienced a similar issue on our 2000 Venture. Noticed paint bubbling a bit by wind-shield moulding. Wanted body touched up so took to Maaco & eventually got back to me that they'd found common problem on Ventures with water getting trapped under moulding & rusting out body metal up top there. We got ours fixed but within a month our Venture got totalled when somebody turned left in front of us with no warning on the highway.

What I do on my 2003 & 2005 to try to prevent this is to take Rust Check & lift moulding a bit, enough to get tube under there, & flood that area with Rust Check, to slow down any corrosion that may be taking place