Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

P0300 2000 Venture 3.4

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2014, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0300 2000 Venture 3.4

My van which has run just fine suddenly acted like it was running out of fuel (trust me i am well experienced in what that feels like as my gas gauge does not work). Was able to drive into a parking lot before it shut off. When trying to restart it would sputter and backfire like it would if the plug wires were mixed up. It was dark but I check as many connectors and wires as I could with no luck. Had it towed home. Next day still not start. OBDII scanner showed a P0300.I know a multiple cylinder misfire can be caused by many things but I decided to roll the dice with the 7X Crank sensor since it was only $14 and in stock. Replaced it and the van started right up. I know the edu is supposed to be flashed or something after replacing the crank sensor but since I did not have this option I drove it to work while putting it through the "Learning sequence" i found online. Parked it at work it was idling nice and smooth. When I got off work the van was a little hard to start but the 3rd try it stayed running with a little play of the gas pedal (I should add that that has been a trend for the past couple months and I had been suspecting either the crank sensor or FPR). Anyway the van was a little low on PS fluid so on the way home I stopped at the auto parts store and left the van idling. When I came back out it had shut off. When I tried to restart it was acting the same as it was before I replaced the crank sensor. Also throwing the P0300 again.
I know it could be something else besides the crank sensor, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that it started up so beautifully immediately after replacing it. Yes, it could be coincidence but considering the fact the van was TOTALLY immobile immediately before and then started right IMMeDIATELY after it just seems like the odds are to great. I am thinking maybe the wiring right at the sensor could be shorted and messing with it is what temporarily fixed it. That is what I am going outside to check now but hoping i can get some ideas thrown at me as well.
Also the van leaks oil and P/S fluid all over the 24x crank sensor. I am going to spray some cleaner on that and cross my fingers.

Last edited by jgharding; December 13th, 2014 at 8:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old December 15th, 2014, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0300

- Faulty spark plug (s)
- Faulty ignition coil (s)
- Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s)
- Intake air leak
- Fuel injectors harness is open or shorted
- Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection
- Ignition coils harness is open or shorted