Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Random button problems. 98 venture

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2016, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random button problems. 98 venture

I have a 98 venture with random issues with the power options. My passenger lock and unlock buttons work but not the window button. On the driver side the passenger and driver window work, along with the uunlock, but not the lock. I have replaced the buttons with no change. I'm thinking its a wire issue?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 9:25 PM
CF Active Member

I have an '05 and had trouble with my passenger window and learned a few things from that which may or may not be the same on your '98 for the windows, I believe the locks work differently.

Imagine the lights on a staircase, there is a switch at the top and another at the bottom and either one can turn the lights on or off. For the windows it works the same way so both switches must be good not only in the up/down positions but also in their resting position where they pass the signal from the other switch. If you already replaced both switches (please tell me found them online for $20) than that leaves the wiring which I have heard actually runs under the carpet and is prone to damage there, or could also have broken in the bundle that is constantly flexing every time the door is open or closed.

As for the locks, I'm not sure without looking at a schematic but I would think due to the FOB they are actually controlled by the BCM and the switches just tell the BCM to do it. I don't know if those switches are wired to each other the way the window switches are though so I couldn't say what is most likely your issue there.
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Another question

]I did get them.online for around $20 lol! Thank you for your info and ideas. I'll get the wires under the carpet checked and in the door! I have adjusted to this issue and am so used to it now it all.out doesn't bother me haha! I would.like it fixed as it is kind of annoying to have to reach over and lock the doorsfrom the passenger side. Also have you experienced a hard shift especially shifting from.1st to second? When I take off if I take off fast its worse so I just feather it but I have been looking online for transmission rebuild kits just for when the time comes and I'm wondering if anyone knows a better idea, is it better for me to buy a rebuild kit and get someone to do it (my hubby is a heavy duty mechanic) but he says its a big job so I'm.wondering if its better for me to lookup already rebuilt transmissions? And I heard there's a vehicle that's pretty much the same thing, would a transmission from one of those work? Or what's my best option here? Its not that bad but I like to have an idea set out before things break.
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:47 PM
CF Active Member

Window switch for the passenger door: O'Reilly's = $69, online = $23 delivered!

You might want to start a new thread about the transmission because someone with that knowledge might pass over this thread if they don't know about switches.
But since you asked...do you know when the last fluid/filter change was done on the transmission? That is where I'd start if you don't know that it has been done in the last 50k miles. I have read that any serious transmission work requires dropping the whole front subframe in which case rebuild or replace is a coin toss, but getting a used transmission without a warranty or rebuilding it and it is a total gamble.

So what do you mean by "heavy duty mechanic"? He works on BIG equipment or been doing it for a living for 40 years?

Last edited by U.Nanimous; May 24th, 2016 at 11:50 PM.