Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Venture pulls hard right, alignment didn't help

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venture pulls hard right, alignment didn't help

I have a 2000 Venture with 140k miles. Recently, I replaced the front brake pads and rotated the tires myself. Ever since then, the vehicle has been pulling hard to the right.

I checked the brakes to make sure they aren't dragging. I then had an alignment done, but it is still pulling hard (no change). Shop said I may have a half shaft going out. They said they heard a popping noise in the front end when they pulled the van into the shop. I've occasionally heard a similar noise; generally when making sharp turns.

Any ideas how to confirm the half shaft is indeed the issue before spending the money to have the shafts changed? None of the boots are tore and there is no evidence of grease splatter. Is there a way to determine which shaft may be the culprit so I don't have to change them both?
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely you have a radial pull caused by a tire. Cross the front tires and see if it pulls the other way or goes straight. Or put the tires back where the were before you rotated them. If it was not puling before you did brakes and a tire rotation as long as the brake job is not messed up it has to be the tires. Also if I was you I would never go back to that shop they were either trying to rip you off (have you ever heard said "popping") or they are completely stupid. In my 15 years working on a car I have never seen a half shaft cause a pull or heard it be suggest as the cause. It would more likely be a stuck/ stiff/frozen ball joint, tie rods, strut mounter a tire. In order to prove one of those the tie rods must be removed from the knuckle check to see if they are binding and each strut assembly turned individually. Also there is no adjustment for a "pull" (caster) on your van. The only adjustment is for inner/outer tire edge wear (camber) and for toe (crooked steering wheel). If you had a crooked wheel then you hold the wheel straight you would effectively by steering the van from center it would not be pulling. Any good mechanic would know if it was a crooked wheel or a pull on the test drive. He would then properly check the front end and rotate the tires for diagnoses.
Old February 5th, 2012, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response!

I'll swap tires and see what happens.

Yes, I've heard the popping noise before; generally when making sharp turns, especially over uneven pavement.

I think you are right in your assessment of the shop. The only reason I keep going back to them is that I paid for a lifetime alignment on this vehicle. There was no charge for yesterday's visit. It was my 3rd alignment of the "lifetime".

First time I was there they tried to tell me the intake manifold gasket was leaking and needed repaired. I knew it wasn't because I had just recently repaired it. Since then I don't trust them very much.
Old February 5th, 2012, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Rotating the tires fixed the issue. No pulling any more.