Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

checkengine light that won't quit. po0449

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2012, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checkengine light that won't quit. po0449

Good evening,
I have a question about this specific DTC. Ive' replaced just about every part known to man for it and still get this haunting code. Does anyone know of anything else I may be able to do?
Thank You,
James
Old January 18th, 2012, 7:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0449 means an electrical problem in the EVAP vent solenoid circuit, i.e., an open or short in the wiring or in the solenoid winding. The monitored voltage level on the circuit should read low when the solenoid is energized and vice versa. I've posted on this site more than once why this is so. If you've already replaced the solenoid, that'd leave the wiring.
Old January 20th, 2012, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I took quite a bit of time trying to look up previous post on this matter and was somewhat unsuccessful. Most things i did find were things I have already tried. There is ALOT of information on this site and maybe I just did not go back far enough. Thank you again and I will start looking there. My vehicle is a 2005 venture van and I seemed to have had quite a few problems with it. I didn't think i would have this many problems with a "newer" model.
Again thank you,
James
Old January 20th, 2012, 2:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EVAP vent solenoid is supplied a battery voltage over one wire. The ECM (or PCM in your case) commands the solenoid ON by grounding the other wire, thus completing the circuit. At the same time, the ECM/PCM monitors the voltage state on the circuit. It sets P0449 when it detects an illogical state on the circuit, i.e., either the absence of voltage when the circuit is open (floating) or presence of voltage when the circuit is grounded.