Volt Get plugged into Chevrolet's electric car! The batteries will take you most anywhere and the on-board generator can take you beyond!
Named the 2011 North American Car of the Year

Chevrolet Volt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Survey for all you Volt enthusiasts!

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2012, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey for all you Volt enthusiasts!

I'm a college student researching the Volt and its owners. If you could help me out by taking this quick survey I would appreciate it! thank you so much!

Here is the link:
Survey
Old November 29th, 2012, 9:07 PM
CF Active Member

It is an electric car, not a hybrid as many people seem to believe like sheep.

It has an on-board generator as backup to maintain electric operation of the electric vehicle if/when the battery is used up.
It is seemless as all it does is automatically turns the generator on.

Now the generator will not re-charge the batteries.
(I think, however it might, I don't remember)
So once your done with the car, you will have to remember to recharge it.

The engine is in no way shape or form connected to the wheels with a drive shaft, its only an electric generator. Just to clarify that again.

The Volt I believe get something like 40-60 miles on a charge.

You can charge the volt with BOTH a standard 110 and a 240 Volt outlet.
Understandable the 110 volt outlet will charge slower.

Charging stations and things are going up slowly so people can plug in at stores and things, the power grids are being upgraded slowly too.

The infrastructure takes time.

Its a very nice car, I have been around and in them, but I do not own one.
I do however want to buy one as I would never need to buy gas again as I always drive city.
Unfortunately the neighborhood here is bad so I can't have a new car.

I'm assuming you already knew this, but I figured I'd add my input seeing as you posted and nobody replied.
Old June 26th, 2013, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

It is simply a series hybrid not a parallel hybrid. A true EV can not recharge itself. Be kind to the sheep.
Old June 27th, 2013, 3:59 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by CruzeDiesel
It is simply a series hybrid not a parallel hybrid. A true EV can not recharge itself. Be kind to the sheep.
Sorry but that is where you are wrong, as well as several others.

The Chevrolet Volt IS an ELECTRIC VEHICLE!

The only difference is the Volt has an on-board GENERATOR, as a backup supply of electricity in case the owner/driver forgets to charge the vehicle or is driving longer than the range capacity of the batteries.

Some people argue to replace the generator with more batteries, but the same principle applies:
""What will you do that one time when you forgot to charge the battery?""

The engine is in no way connected to the vehicle drive, is is solely a generator for electricity, nothing more.

The vehicle is powered by the electric Lithium Ion battery pack, and the vehicle is propelled by electric motor. However, I forgot if its just one motor or two.

For Example, look at the old EV1 that was around years ago.
Or the Nissan Leaf.

Both of those vehicles are dead and stuck if your battery is dead.

However, the Chevrolet Volt is still fully functional because it has a backup generator.

Just like someone who lives in a house that has frequent power outages has a backup generator for their home, so does the volt so your not stranded.

It is a great idea, it is a functional idea.

Many people Who I have talked to about their Volt, they love the car.

They like the idea that the vehicle can keep going if something were to ever happen where they needed the car and there was insufficient time to charge the battery packs.

And many people have reported that those emergencies have occurred where they needed the car now and the backup generator allowed them to use the vehicle without being forced to wait for a charge, and without being stranded because their battery died.

EDIT:
In the automotive industry "Hybrid vehicle" has been defined as a vehicle that is propelled by more than one source of power/propulsion.
Generally understood as the classic internal combustion engine and electric motor combo.

However in that case, both the engine and electric motor are connected to the wheels via a mechanical drive shaft.

----------------

The volt is classified as Electric Vehicle and it is an electric vehicle because it is solely an electric vehicle. It will operate just like any other electric provided it is charged when the battery is low.

The entire life of the car (Volt) can be where no gasoline is used, only electricity from the batteries.

The engine only exists as a backup electric generator in case someone is forgetful or if there is an emergency or situation where you need the car and the batteries are dead.

But like I said, it is not a hybrid vehicle, its electric because it will run solely on electricity without consuming any gasoline provided you charge it, just like the Nissan leaf needs charged

Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; June 27th, 2013 at 4:05 PM. Reason: added