Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1991 silverado hvac controls

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2017, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1991 silverado hvac controls

My 1991 k15 silverado a/c is on the blink - literally. This truck has the digital hvac controls on the dash. For as long as I have owned the truck (9 years) the a/c (still R12) has worked great. This year all the hvac functions are out. The dash controls allow me to push selections for a/c on or off but it just blinks "a/c" steadily. I have checked for pressure in the system and non-running (compressor will not engage) there is 95 psi in the system so I don't suspect massive leak. Is the compressor clutch failing to engage because it is shot, or is the digital control panel the suspect. None of the functions actually work, (heat, defrost, etc.); blower speed does work. If it is the control panel, are these parts available or is it junkyard and take your chances?
Old July 24th, 2017, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Bump - Nobody has any help for me?
Old July 24th, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Junior Member

I can only answer to the part of your issue with the control panel itself. There are no new ones being manufactured, but I did replace mine using a junk yard find, and it has worked out great. Mine just quit on me one day.
Old July 25th, 2017, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Somebody is making these controls, apparently. I have seen them for sale on both Amazon and E-Bay, price roughly $125 - $135. I guess that only for sure means they are for sale, not necessarily that they are NEW. But I hate throwing money at parts at random if I don't think it will for sure fix the problem. There have been prior issues with this truck where the mechanical or vacuum controls did not move the dampers correctly to re-direct the destination of airflow.

Always glad to see that junkyard parts can still fix a problem. I'd have never kept my first five cars on the road without them.