Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1996 Silverado ac compressor question

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2020, 10:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

@oldchevy Out of my own curiosity, why couldn't he just get a smaller belt to bypass it, because to me if a pully does nothing, why put a belt around it? This is an honest question, does it damage something, or did the trucks with or without A/C have different tensioners?
Old May 14th, 2020, 11:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

I was just thinking that in summer when it gets hot, he is going to want to put the AC back and this would make it easier. And it really doesn't hurt anything.
Old May 14th, 2020, 12:43 PM
CF Active Member

@oldchevy I figured he didn't care about having A/C since summer is quickly approaching, and he also seems to have intrest in not using it. We don't know if it is a work truck, or a daily driver, for the money it may not be worth it to him. the thing I like about his current set up is that if anyone wanted to put A/C back on the truck, it wouldn't be that hard, especialy if he doesn't take out the rest of the system.
Old May 14th, 2020, 1:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

We are both speculating about his intentions and the condition of his truck. We also both have our opinions.
Old May 14th, 2020, 6:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by David Patrick
So, I have a 1996 Silverado 1500 with a 5.7 vortec. My ac compressor was going bad so I bought a bypass pulley and replaced the compressor with it.

This pulley sounds like ****. Sounds like the bearing is going out.

looking at the diagram under the hood, it shows routings for serp belt for both with ac and without ac. My question is... can I just go to autozone or another store and just buy a belt sized for without ac? I believe they made these exact trucks without ac so shouldn't it be the correct size so I can just bypass the whole compressor/bypass pulley situation all together?
If you remove the AC bypass pulley, you will need to purchase the idler pulley pictured in the diagram to make the shorter belt work.

Those diagrams are exaggerated in the details so the correct routing can be clearly seen, but without the idler pulley on a non-AC set up, the shorter belt would either be too long for the tensioner to take up slack; or if it did still tension the belt, it would be rubbing on the water pump pulley on its way to the alternator. Since the belt routes over top of the water pump pulley, the belt would rub against itself.

The AC bypass pulley is accomplishing the same thing as the idler pulley and shorter belt would. Take the bypass pulley back to auto zone for an exchange - at a month old, there should be some kind of warranty on it.

Also, don’t shop at auto zone. You can’t trust any parts house that asks if your truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive when you’re trying to buy windshield wipers.
Old May 15th, 2020, 12:22 PM
CF Active Member

Talking

Originally Posted by oldchevy
We are both speculating about his intentions and the condition of his truck. We also both have our opinions.
Yup, I can agree. it is hard to figure out what will work best for him
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about an electric water pump? I believe you can get a belt that is crankshaft and alternator only, thus bypassing the water pump and compressor.

Just a thought.