Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2017, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Silverado

Hello All.

I have been at this for a while. (I gave up for a while but am ready to tackle this again)
I have a 97 Silverado that will not start.

At first I would run rough and was hard starting, harder when it was wet outside.

I have done so many things that I really cant remember what I have done but would like to start trouble shooting it again, even if it is from the beginning.

So....is there a guide that I can use, perhaps in these forums.
I would love to get this Truck going and back on the road again.

So what I am looking for is a step by step guide to check and test different components.
Let me know!!!

Thank you
Old November 16th, 2017, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Hard to start or rough when wet outside? Loss of power under load when rainy and humid as well? Cap, Rotor, wires, plugs but most likely the COIL. IF you haven't done any or all of these in the last 60,000 miles you should. probably fix it. It can run fine in the summer, but humidity is extra resistance on wires and component and if the coil is going it just doesn't have the amperage to power through older wires etc. Changing some of it will improve, but if it's been 60,000 or more since you have done it I would do all of it. I get 100,000 usually out all of these with mine, but most people never change them on their 90 C/K's. and it's usually the problem. Might not be the issue, but at least all of this is easy and cheap if you haven't done it in 60,000 or 5 years. Look for mice or voles nests and nibbling on wires. After that then it's time to invest in a code reader and see if it can give you any ideas of where to start.
Old November 17th, 2017, 7:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Is the check engine light on? I agree that would be the place to start. The codes will give you a clue as to what is going on.
Old November 17th, 2017, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it just happens when it's wet outside or raining ? sounds like moisture is getting inside the distributor ! start by changing the distributor cap and rotor button !
Old November 18th, 2017, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Actually it stopped starting...Coil has not been changed although I do see spark. It is Cheap to replace so that is a good part to try changing, I did change wires, disc cap plugs rotor a while back. It has sat outside now for years. I really would like to get it started. So at this point I am looking for a step by step guide to trouble shoot a no start condition. I probably need to start the troubleshooting over :-). I don't think I had any codes. Since it has not run in such a long time there won't be any until I start it. Or while just cranking will it throw codes. I will have to check.

Last edited by kilroy79763; November 18th, 2017 at 1:35 PM.
Old November 19th, 2017, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

the spark should be a strong blue spark ! did you say you changed the plugs ? if not then maybe they need replacing !
Old November 20th, 2017, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by bandit_601948
the spark should be a strong blue spark ! did you say you changed the plugs ? if not then maybe they need replacing !
Yes the plugs were replaced. I can't remember when but when I changed the Cap cables and rotor. Other than replacing the coil is there a way I can check the coil?
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Sitting for years - how old is the gas in your tank??
Old November 21st, 2017, 9:26 AM
CF Junior Member

to check the coil, pull the coil wire out, ground it against the engine and have someone crank the engine ! if it's still good than you should have a strong blue spark !