Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1988 - 1998 (GMT400) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/)
-   -   4WD not Engaging/ Working Correctly (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/4wd-not-engaging-working-correctly-95108/)

Samuel James April 16th, 2019 11:41 PM

4WD not Engaging/ Working Correctly

Howdy all,
I am new to this forum and am hoping to become a more active member as time goes by. However I currently am hoping that some of y'all will be able to help me. I have a 1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, with the 7.4l V8, the NV4500 5-Spd manual, and the NP241 manual shift transfer case. I have gotten it stuck before, and sometimes all four wheels will spin and sometimes it will be the two rear ones and one of the front wheels, but the rear two always seem to spin together when stuck. I am currently stuck and it seems as if I have open diffs front and rear, because I only have one front tire spinning and one rear tire spinning in 4 hi and one rear spinning in 2 hi. However, my problems get wierder, becuase when I shift to 4 low I only get power to one of the rear wheels. So my questions I guess are why does my rear diff all of a sudden appear to be open, and why will my tranfer case not work in 4 low. Thanks for any and all of the help that yall may be able to offer.

oilcanhenry April 18th, 2019 6:19 AM

Originally Posted by Samuel James (Post 426469)
Howdy all,
I am new to this forum and am hoping to become a more active member as time goes by. However I currently am hoping that some of y'all will be able to help me. I have a 1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, with the 7.4l V8, the NV4500 5-Spd manual, and the NP241 manual shift transfer case. I have gotten it stuck before, and sometimes all four wheels will spin and sometimes it will be the two rear ones and one of the front wheels, but the rear two always seem to spin together when stuck. I am currently stuck and it seems as if I have open diffs front and rear, because I only have one front tire spinning and one rear tire spinning in 4 hi and one rear spinning in 2 hi. However, my problems get wierder, becuase when I shift to 4 low I only get power to one of the rear wheels. So my questions I guess are why does my rear diff all of a sudden appear to be open, and why will my tranfer case not work in 4 low. Thanks for any and all of the help that yall may be able to offer.

Best guess is you have a worn positraction on your rear axle with both tire spinning in same direction, sometimes. Might be a wiring issue to your front 4x4 engagement motor too. Being a 1994, you MAY have issues with your NP241, but those are pretty well made compared to the new electronic motor transfer cases.

Really hard to diagnose without seeing it myself. Liked the manual locking hubs on my old Jeep much better. Everything was not electronic at all in my old CJ-5..