Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

91 k1500 4wd drive won’t engage

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 k1500 4wd drive won’t engage

The actuator for the 4x4 was bad so I replaced it. Before I installed the new one I checked it by plugging in the electrical connection and shifting into 4wd . The new actuator works properly but the 4x4 will still not engage and the indicator light won’t light up. What else could the problem be? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Old March 9th, 2019, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

So I just pulled the actuator and tried to lock the diff manually by usting a screw drive to depress the spring. It pushed in but the diff still didn’t lock. Also I noticed some metal in the gear oil so I’m thinking the diff is just shot
Old March 9th, 2019, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your passenger side axle and see if it will slide in and out of the tube about an inch. If so, the circlip that holds it in place has worn out. When this happens a shim falls in between the gears that engage the 4x4. Easy fix if this is the issue
Old March 10th, 2019, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

I recently replaced the cv axle on that side. The old one completely sheared in 2 so maybe that could have caused the problem. It’s snowing here today so I will check it out when the weather clears . Thank you