Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

98 Silverado AC Help

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2017, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Silverado AC Help

I have a 98 silverado that I recently replaced the dryer, compressor and condenser. The system has been charged and ac is working but truck temp gets hold setting at idle when AC is on. At the time, I didn't know but I have metal shavings in the system from the old compressor. I think it maybe getting hot because the orifice tube is clogged.? I'm not sure as I'm pretty new to all the ac stuff. I know the system needs to be flushed, but I have a few questions:

1. Since the compressor has been running with the shavings, does it need to be replaced again?
2. I know the manifold hoses need to be replaced since they can't be flushed and replace the dryer, but how about the condenser? Can I just flush it out or does it need to be replaced too?
3. Can the evaporator be flushed or does it need to be flushed? If so, can I flush it from its current location without removing it from the dash?

Thanks in advance
Old July 20th, 2017, 3:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You should have purged the system, that would have taken the failed compressor stuff out. Orifice probably is plugged. Take the freon back out, replace the orifice.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 20th, 2017 at 3:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 21st, 2017, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only replace the orifice and don't worry about anything else?