Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Interior door handles breaking frequently... Cure for this?

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2022, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior door handles breaking frequently... Cure for this?

Hey y'all,

I've got a 96 k1500 with about 275k miles. I've owned it about a dozen years. In that time, I've replaced numerous interior door handles - probably one per every 2 to 3 years. The problem worsens in the cold, I suppose due to contraction in the mechanism. You can pull the handle to its limit, and not actuate the latch in these conditions. Today, for instance, it is about 20° here. I needed to roll down my window to use the outside door handle to exit the vehicle.

Is there an adjustment or other parts I should lube or replace, other than the door handles?

Thanks,
Old November 11th, 2022, 2:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Is it the same inside door handle that is breaking or is it different ones at different times? I would take off the inside door panel and look for play in the linkage from the handle to the lock mechanism. There are plastic bushings there that might be worn out, the latch might be worn out also.
The following users liked this post:
Mike-g (November 11th, 2022)
Old November 11th, 2022, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both are similarly affected. Just now, I drove it and found I needed to open both doors using the outside handle, even though both inside handles are intact and work fine in warmer weather.

Both doors need the hinge bushings redone, maybe this has an effect, too.
Old November 13th, 2022, 8:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The hinge bushings are definitely a contributing factor, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you also need to replace the latch mechanism.

With worn hinges, what can happen is the top end of the latch starts taking the impact of the door closing and it wears on the plastic hook part of the latch, eventually wearing down to the metal where it can spread/flatten the metal and cause even more drag on the latch.

Replace the hinge pins ASAP.

Lubricate the lock/latch mechanism and any contact/support clips for the linkage with white lithium grease (available in a spray can). Open and close the door several times to work the grease into the latch.

If it continues to break handles, it’s likely the latch needs replacement.