Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1988 - 1998 (GMT400) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/)
-   -   LQ9 Piston and crank questions (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1988-1998-gmt400-106/lq9-piston-crank-questions-107526/)

OBSZealot November 17th, 2021 6:59 PM

LQ9 Piston and crank questions

Hey guys I have a few questions to ask about my 2005 LQ9.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which pistons to go with as well as rocker arms and good sites? Good deals and quality. I’m running a 228/230 stage 2 Cam

Im planning on doing the honing myself, and I was wondering about how much is taken off when honing and if there should be any concern to go with bigger pistons. Also any tips and what type of grit I should use when doing it, it is my first time doing all this

Talking about honing I need to take off the crankshaft. I’ve heard that the locking pins from GM are too long and you don’t want to go short with them either. I just want to hear a take on it.

And last thing, if I can’t find a Chevy or gmc single cab by the time I finish the build what are some other easy swaps to put this in? The LQ9 is matched with a 4L60E

Gumby22 November 17th, 2021 7:59 PM

1) Get rockers from the same supplier you got your cam (and I hope lifters as well) from. They are the best chance of making sure the rockers are a match for the cam.

Summit racing is a good site for quality parts.

2) Honing does not remove any noticeable material from the cylinders. It is done after boring to create an even, nearly smooth cross hatch type pattern on the cylinder wall. This serves to help the piston rings create the most effective seal between the rings and the cylinder wall.

To install larger pistons the cylinders will have to be bored by a machine shop - it is not an at-home job unless you have the correct machinery.

There are multiple shop recipes for honing oil as well as off the shelf cans. Ideally it is a light oil/oil mixture - think similar viscosity to 3-in-1 oil. Use enough to fully and thoroughly coat the cylinder wall during honing.

3) Please clarify what you mean by locking pins in reference to the crankshaft.

Originally Posted by OBSZealot (Post 472661)
Hey guys I have a few questions to ask about my 2005 LQ9.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which pistons to go with as well as rocker arms and good sites? Good deals and quality. I’m running a 228/230 stage 2 Cam

Im planning on doing the honing myself, and I was wondering about how much is taken off when honing and if there should be any concern to go with bigger pistons. Also any tips and what type of grit I should use when doing it, it is my first time doing all this

Talking about honing I need to take off the crankshaft. I’ve heard that the locking pins from GM are too long and you don’t want to go short with them either. I just want to hear a take on it.

And last thing, if I can’t find a Chevy or gmc single cab by the time I finish the build what are some other easy swaps to put this in? The LQ9 is matched with a 4L60E