Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

This is probably odd.

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2019, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is probably odd.

Hey all, new here and didn't see a post regarding this so I'm hoping you can help. After 12 long years I'm finally set to receive my grandfather's 94 by c1500 single cab short bed. Unfortunately, it's been very abused is the last 12 years. It hasn't been registered or passed smog (ca) in 5 years. It needs a severe tune up, transmission, amongst other things.

Before I go dumping thousands of dollars into it, I'm wondering if I should spend a few thousand more and go all out. From my research, it looks as though the c1500 had a 6.5l 4l80e option.

Time for the questions.
1. What do I need to accomplish with the state of ca/dmv to legally swap?
2. Aside from motor, transmission, mounts, and driveline, what else would I need to swap?
3. Can I just do the tranny for now (thinking about money)? If so, what would I need for that?
4. Am I crazy?
5. Being that it's older than 97 would it still be pre smog considering it was originally gas?
6. What is the best site to search for quality inexpensive parts?
7. What is the guesstimated cost of this swap?
8. What am I forgetting to ask?
Old December 8th, 2019, 8:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well a lot of the questions I can't answer because I'm from Europe and do not know pricing of parts and local rules overseas. Also it's really hard to tell something about a truck that has so much work on it if you can't see it in person and even then you never know what you encounter while working on it. But if I have to say something then i think it's only worth it if you are emotionally really attached to it because buying a decent c1500 in States can't be more expensive than a total overhaul of a worn out and rotten one.

But maybe some other people here have better knowledge about this or maybe have done this and can tell you more about it.