Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

‘00 knocking motor

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2018, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘00 knocking motor

My ‘00 5.3L Silverado check engine like starts blinking and star hearing a low knocking sound, checked oil it’s fine, knocking comes from right side, oil pressure doesn’t change working properly, when you drive it down the road slow to accelerate and loud knocking then goes away after 2nd gear, oil pump is working, at a loss and help
Old June 26th, 2018, 12:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lifter flat?
Old June 26th, 2018, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you asking
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Do you think it could be a flat lifter?
Old June 29th, 2018, 12:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Where is the noise coming from? Top, bottom?
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Where is the noise coming from? Top, bottom?
I have the same issue with my 2000 silverado with 320000 miles and mine is coming from the bottom. I pull the valve cover off on the driver side where the noise is originating from and all the lifters were moving. Not sure if that means anything.I got a light on the dash saying change oil which I ignored (about a week before) because I had just change oil about a month ago and I only put about 500 miles on the oil change. I am using 5W-30 Valvoline conventional oil. Do I need to change the weight of the oil. Does anyone have an ideal what is going on. It gave no prior warning truck ran like a champ. Came out one morning and bang the tapping from the engine was there. It is coming from the driver side in the rear of the engine near the last two spark plug.
Old July 8th, 2018, 9:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawkjr
I have the same issue with my 2000 silverado with 320000 miles and mine is coming from the bottom. I pull the valve cover off on the driver side where the noise is originating from and all the lifters were moving. Not sure if that means anything.I got a light on the dash saying change oil which I ignored (about a week before) because I had just change oil about a month ago and I only put about 500 miles on the oil change. I am using 5W-30 Valvoline conventional oil. Do I need to change the weight of the oil. Does anyone have an ideal what is going on. It gave no prior warning truck ran like a champ. Came out one morning and bang the tapping from the engine was there. It is coming from the driver side in the rear of the engine near the last two spark plug.

At that mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if it's letting go. As for your change oil light, you have to reset those.

If I remember right, you turn the key on, but don't start, and fully depress the gas pedal 3 times. That resets the oil change light.
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooky97
My ‘00 5.3L Silverado check engine like starts blinking and star hearing a low knocking sound, checked oil it’s fine, knocking comes from right side, oil pressure doesn’t change working properly, when you drive it down the road slow to accelerate and loud knocking then goes away after 2nd gear, oil pump is working, at a loss and help
The early 5.3 liters had lots of problems with piston slapping. Maybe it just took enough miles to start happening with your pickup. If I lived in a state without SMOG, I'd slap a beefed up 327 mill in that vehicle.