Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Truck fails to start intermittently 2003 1500 Z71

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck fails to start intermittently 2003 1500 Z71

Looking for some help guys before I start replacing unnecessary parts and wasting time and money. So the truck on occasion twice in the last month has failed to start, all the lights and instrument in dash turns on like normal but the truck doesn't crank or make any type of starting attempt. I've had the battery tested by 3 different places and they'e all said the battery is good and had one auto parts test the battery,alternator and starter while the truck was running and they said the parts check out good according to their hand held diagnostic equipment... When the truck failed to start on the occasions I was able to start it by jumping it. Someone has said it was the starter after hearing that comment just for some additional input. Thanks for your time. It' greatly appreciated!!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

A redneck starter test is when the condition recurs, have a helper hold the key in start and you tap the starter with a hammer. If it turns over, time for a new starter. These starters will often test good but have intermittent dead spots that leave you stranded. In college I drove my 68 El Camino an entire semester with the hammer method!
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like I should start carrying a hammer in my truck. The next step I was going to do was remove the starter and take it to AutoZone to have them test it
Old February 2nd, 2018, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my 2004. Solenoid went out of the starter. Replaced the starter a couple of months ago and worked fine since.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it "draging" at all when it cranks? If so, I agree solenoid. These starters are expensive ($150), but not heavy duty IMO.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

So it wouldn't start yesterday I crawled underneath hit the starter with a hammer turned the key and it fired up. Starter then?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

While jacking up the front of my truck this bolt fell out and I'm not sure from where, from my jack or my truck does it look familiar?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Uknowjoe
So it wouldn't start yesterday I crawled underneath hit the starter with a hammer turned the key and it fired up. Starter then?
When my cars have done this over the years a new starter/solenoid assembly has always been the fix. Or take the starter in for rebuild if you have a good local shop.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Is that the actual size of the bolt in the picture or is it smaller? Looks like it is from the jack. Look at your jack carefully for any missing bolts.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Actual size