Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1999 - 2006 (GMT800) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/)
-   -   05 1500, replaced transmission, wont move!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/05-1500-replaced-transmission-wont-move-89446/)

ajparry89 March 12th, 2018 4:52 PM

05 1500, replaced transmission, wont move!!

Hey everybody!
i have an 05 1500 5.3L 4wd. transmission went out on it, it has a 4L60e. i bought one that i was told was rebuilt, and not run for very many miles, maybe like 500. the transmission did look really clean. the one i bought looks the exact same, only it has a slightly deeper pan. both are 16 bolt. the trans was given to me with the torque converter in it fully seated. i never even pulled it out or slid it out at all. got everything hooked up, and now no pressure (pressure tested at the port on the driver side - 0 psi) i have put in about 6 quarts i think (i know it should take more, but it is showing full on the dipstick at all times - i dont want to over fill it as that wont be good either)

one note i will add, when installing the trans bolts, after tightening the bell housing bolts (almost all the way but not quite) i found that the torque and flexplate were putting pressure on eachother and i could not turn the engine by hand, so i loosened up the bolts and tried again and everything was fine (and as i mentioned, the torque converter did not slide out, and did not need pushed back in - not sure why they were pressing each other that one time, but they did, maybe it just wasn't perfectly centered, but it was not because the torque converter slid out)

anyways, i realize that just because somebody tells me it is rebuilt, does not mean that it really is, so there could be something wrong with the trans like the pump or something. But how about that deeper pan - could there be differences in these trans? pressure is pressure, right? whether there is some difference in the trans or even an electrical issue or electrical difference, there should still be pressure, right? if i shift it into drive or reverse, it should still start spinning the tires even if there is a slight electrical difference, right? or are there electrical details that will effect those things, including pressure? could there have been a difference in the torque converters? - looked the same though, and obviously bolted to the flex plate ok. I also read that with the deeper pans, the filters fall off sometimes if the incorrect one is used, and can cause low pressure - can that cause NO pressure?

any thoughts are much appreciated!!
Thanks all!!

PS, the code on the trans i bought reads: 0KCD285V 26389997, if that helps. does that mean i came out of a 2000? anybody know what vehicle it came out of by reading that?

ajparry89 March 13th, 2018 9:59 AM

any thoughts anybody?? :)

kevinkpk March 13th, 2018 2:54 PM

Sounds like the pump is shot. Why did the person that sold you it, sell it?

ajparry89 March 13th, 2018 4:01 PM

the truck got totaled. rear ended and the frame broke. do you think there could have been damage done to the trans if it was rear ended enough to bust the frame? he said that he drove the truck onto the lift to take out the trans though.

also, the trans was rebuilt at ammco and i did call them to run the numbers and it was indeed rebuilt.

kevinkpk March 13th, 2018 5:43 PM

I don't think a rear end or any collision would cause that. No pressure from the transmission is one of three things, either the transmission shaft isn't turning, or low fluid (you've checked that), or transmission pump isn't pumping. The torque convertor might be low on fluid, but it should top off through the transmission. The lack of pressure is the thing I would look at, also is the gear shift, moving?

kevinkpk March 13th, 2018 5:44 PM

Take the dust cover off the flex plate, will the flex plate turn freely?

ajparry89 March 14th, 2018 8:15 AM

no the flexplate does not spin freely, it is bolted tight to the crank as should be, no problems there.

i also feel like it could be low on fluid, because i haven't put that much in, but it wont take anymore. possibly the pump is bad, and that is why it wont take any more fluid?

ajparry89 March 14th, 2018 8:16 AM

and yes, the gear shifter does shift. i have even disconnected it and shifted it by hand from underneath into each gear, still nothing.