Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2000 silverado service 4x4 light

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2016, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 silverado service 4x4 light

Sorry To post another thread on this subject. But I cannot find anyone with the exact symptoms of my truck. I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 step side with the push button 4x4 switch. In 2wd I have no issues. 4 -low no issues. If I try to use the 4-hi or auto 4wd it will shift into 4x4. I can get about a 1/4 mile then the dash light comes on saying service 4x4. At this point, the lights on the switch selector stays on, but I cannot switch it out of 4-hi into any other mode. I have to turn of the truck, turn it back on, and then I can switch it back to 2 hi or 4-low. I have switched out the 4 wheel drive push button selector on the dash, and have taking the ground wire of the frame under the driver door, sanded the frame and wire connectors and put back together. I have a scan gauge II and tried to run the codes, but nothing is showing up. All the fluids have been changed in the last 2 months and are correctly filled. Any suggestion where to go from here?
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

You'll need to get ahold of someone with a scanner that can read the transfer case control module for codes
Old February 17th, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

How did you make a new post
Old February 17th, 2016, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 chevy silverado and the heater won't work and the anti lock break light is on and the break light is on we replaced the pig tail and module but still the same problem . What should we do now
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Joanne Burkey Crow
I have a 2006 chevy silverado and the heater won't work and the anti lock break light is on and the break light is on we replaced the pig tail and module but still the same problem . What should we do now
Hello Joanne,

Would you like to have a certified technician take a look at your Silverado? Our team would be more than happy to get in touch with them to set up a service visit. If interested, please send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a direct message. We do apologize for the multiple vehicle concerns that you’ve encountered and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 27th, 2016, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default service light

Well if anyone has the same symptoms as mine. It came down to a bad prop shaft sensor. or the front speed sensor in the transfer case. the pins where all corroded. code was C0305 and C0374
Old February 28th, 2016, 9:14 PM
CF Active Member

Good catch up, got some pics of those pins?
Old March 1st, 2016, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't take a picture of the inside of the sensor before I pitched it. But their was mud and corrosion on the 2 prongs. I did have to take a small file to the pig tail as well. but the ohm meter showed good power at the plug.

the actual design of the sensor and pigtail is pretty crappy. Sticks up out of the top of the transfer case. And then the pig tail slide inside of the sensor. My boot dry rotted letting the dirty water and snow pass by. Make sure to use a good electrical grease to help the seal when putting yours back together.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 silverado service 4x4 light-sensor.jpg  
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Here's a link on an easy way I found to replace a speedo sensor, learned the hard way

Facebook Post
Old October 31st, 2016, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L and I'm having the same issues. The Service 4WD light stays on. I bought a transfer case switch for it but that didn't fix the problem. I don't have any lights glowing on the switch, none of the buttons seem to work. Had a friend hook it up to his reader but it's not showing any error codes. I'm curious if I bought the Dorman 600-101 4x4 actuator from Autozone if that would fix my problem? Don't want to keep throwing money out the window. I bought some transfer case fluid for it but haven't changed it yet? What else could it be?