Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2001 Silverado No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2017, 5:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado No crank no start

Well, I am currently having a no crank no start situation with my 2001 silverado 1500.
About a month ago I had a similar situation with my truck. The truck drove great the night before, I parked it and then the next morning I got up and it was a no crank no start as well. Surprisingly turned out to just be my starter. Now, a month later I'm having the same issue. Except this time I do not have any lights coming on with my cluster. Only thing I have that works in my cluster is the miles, and the security/battery light at the message center. I do have interior and exterior lights, radio works, A.C. and heat works. I charged the battery so it is not that. I jumped the terminal posts on the starter and it spun but the truck didn't try and crank. The ignition relay DOES NOT click...the starter relay does. I replaced the ignition switch and still the same issue..I have no idea where to go next. To me it seems from the ignition to the fuse box there is something not communicating or something like that if that relay won't click. I switch that relay with the headlamp relay and still no click of the relay. Any ideas?
Old November 10th, 2017, 11:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your theft deterrent light in the dashboard is lit, it's likely that you need to replace the ignition key lock set. The lock set has a couple of very small gauge wires that work with the ignition system to disable the starting system if there is no reference signal sent from the key lock set to the Theft deterrent module. It simply won't turn over. Everything else will work. But, your not going to get the engine to turn over. On some occasions you can unlock the steering wheel by turning the key to the on position and move the wheel back and forth and the engine might crank over. If you experience intermittent problem starting the engine prior to not being able to crank the engine it's a good chance the key lock set is your problem. However, there are a lot of other things that can cause a no crank problem. If you have a scanner or friend that has one, try to pull codes from the system first.