Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1999 - 2006 (GMT800) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/)
-   -   2006 silverado PO449 CODE (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/2006-silverado-po449-code-35766/)

GHOST169 September 6th, 2010 10:51 AM

2006 silverado PO449 CODE

I have a PO449 code coming on,says evap emmission system vent valve/solenoid circuit

Any help greatly appreciated.........

in2pro September 6th, 2010 2:41 PM

Welcome to the forum,

A forum search for p0449 will turn up lots of places to start...
try some of these threads...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sea...earchid=634364

GHOST169 September 27th, 2010 7:19 PM

PO449 Code

thanks,I replaced the vent valve/solenoid gimmick,cost me 28.60 plus tax,cleared the code,hopefully this solves the problem.

GHOST169 September 27th, 2010 7:21 PM

forum was very hepful,especially the pics another member posted,got some 5/8" hose,had two stainless hose clamps,cut the poly shrink tubing off,replaced it,and hope i am done.

samax94 October 6th, 2010 7:51 AM

2006 Silverado PO449 code

Ok, so everyone else is fixing this problem with a $30 part. I just called the dealer and they want $154 for the part :eek:!?!?! Checked with NAPA too, same thing! Am I looking at the wrong part or what? Please advise.......

dontony October 6th, 2010 6:33 PM

07 silverado

Just called the dealer and was quoted a price of 166.00 for the valve. Seen many here with the same problem and valve replaced for 32.00? Am I getting fleeced or asking for the wrong part? Love the site by the way...

samax94 October 7th, 2010 7:23 AM

Parts Manager

I talked to the parts manager at Knipplemeir Chevrolet yesterday! Excellent dealer and very honest. He told me that GM redesigned the part about 1 to 2 years ago adding in the extra hose and filter which has to be routed above the transmission and the extra filter mounted above the transmission! The dealer is checking with GM about any possible service bulletin or possible warranty coverage on the part. I expressed my concern that if GM is going to redesign a $30 part then it should be something that they cover. He agreed with me and informed me that they're doing tons of them as they cannot keep the parts on the shelf!

besse2020 October 15th, 2010 6:14 PM

how did you make out with you code problem PO449

samax94 October 18th, 2010 7:48 AM

I didn't make out on the code yet. I called Chevy customer service, which got me no where. Told 'em that as a GM retiree family member I'm actually considering going to another brand as I'm fed up.....Here's the skinny:
Currently, I have 96,000 miles on the truck:
1. I'm on my 4th set of brakes about to put on the 5th. 20" wheels eat the standard duty brakes up and this was noted to me by a Chevy Service Mgr in Little Rock, Ark.
2. At 74,000 miles my tranny was acting up and the check engine oil level warning kept coming on. Took to dealer, they replaced tranny but despite my telling them to replace the oil sensor, they decided to rebuild my motor from the heads up! They even put the old parts right back in, 2 weeks after I had to replace plugs because they broke them on re-installation! When I picked up the truck I started it up and low and behold the check engine oil level warning came up again! They replaced it the next day and it's been fine since but my motor doesn't have any pep to it at all. Should've pushed harder for a new motor seeing as how the total bill was around $7,000 for motor and tranny. New 6.0L motor is $3,900 +- a couple of bucks.
3. Now my tranny is acting up again and the emissions code is flagging the check engine light.

I don't drive hard, I rarely pull a trailer (if I do it has a lawn mower on it), I don't brake hard etc. This truck should be in a lot better shape but I feel that Mr. Goodwrench has destroyed what should be a very powerful truck.
:mad:

dontony October 23rd, 2010 8:17 AM

Ordered my part from gm parts direct for $78. They get you on shipping and handling, $18.88, though. Going to change it today and clear the code and pray.....

dontony November 8th, 2010 4:27 PM

Installed the vent valve solenoid and cleared the code 2 1/2 weeks ago and still no codes. I hope I got it.....

in2pro November 8th, 2010 4:54 PM

dontony Thanks for the follow up! that is what really makes the forum work...

jvtexas January 17th, 2011 11:21 AM

po449

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 156423)
Welcome to the forum,

A forum search for p0449 will turn up lots of places to start...
try some of these threads...
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sea...earchid=634364

tried the posted threads, nothing was there. Dealer is wanting 200 for part plus labor to fix this code. OReilly says part is dealer only. I see where some have fixed this problem.... my truck is 05 silverado, 1500, 2wd. any help?

in2pro January 17th, 2011 11:52 AM

using the search button at the top of the page for p0449
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sea...earchid=815174

Yes its possible the part is Dealer only as it is an emissions part, guess they have to keep track of how many of there EPA required parts fail maybe?

jvtexas I got your PM and will see what I can find this evening....

in2pro January 18th, 2011 8:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
procedure for 05 Silverado 5.3L

2005 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1250851
Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve
Replacement (Regular Cab)
Replacement Procedure
1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent valve electrical connector.
3. Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.
4. Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or
mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.
5. Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect
end.
6. Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.
7. Cut a bulk 5/8 in heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in).
8. Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.
9. Attach a bulk 5/8 in heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a
length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.
10. Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

11. Secure the filter box to the fuel lines above the transmission using a tie strap.
The filter box opening should be pointing downward.
12. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
13. Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from the
pinch-points and heat sources.
14. Lower the vehicle.

raygasman May 21st, 2011 1:51 PM

just got one from rock auto for $23.00 works great.

Bilbo September 21st, 2011 9:21 AM

I have just experienced the same problem with my 06 silverado 1500 with 60,000 miles. This being such a big problem you would think Chevy would would have a re-call of sorts. That being said I have been quoted $153 for the part. I understand that the same part is on an 06 Suburban; same part # 25932571 as old part # on truck. I havn't replaced it yet but for $28 will give it a try.

raygasman September 22nd, 2011 5:34 AM

rattel in stering colem

I have done 2 more trucks with one being all ready done by dealer and the valve failed again so the old valve part fits perfect as a in with the new conversion the dealer will do.
Also just found out what has been rattling on all my past and present Chevy trucks.It is the white looking spacer on the bottom part of the steering column put a dab of silicone on it and it works great.

majbollman October 24th, 2011 9:15 PM

Originally Posted by GHOST169 (Post 158442)
thanks,I replaced the vent valve/solenoid gimmick,cost me 28.60 plus tax,cleared the code,hopefully this solves the problem.

Ghost,
Where did you get your solenoid for $28? Also the pics you mentioned, is there a link to them or what?
Thanks,
majbollman

speedskills November 19th, 2011 9:36 PM

Just for clarification. The relocation kit from GM is about 150 bucks for the vent solenoid not the purge solenoid. Code p0449 is more than likely the vent solenoid gone bad. Hence the engineering change GM has made. You can buy the solenoid itself for around 20 bucks and takes about 10 mins to change. You will have troue finding just the solenoid BC the dealer wants you to buy the relocation kit. Tomorrow I will try to post the part number for just the solenoid, because that's how I got the part. The local AC delco dealer didn't have the part number in their computer. I know thisis an old thread buti just wanted to add the info I couldn't find while I was doing my search.

Arturo59 December 30th, 2011 3:52 PM

P0449

Great thread folks! The vent solenoid/canister fixed our P0449 problem. 300 miles, no codes and passed emissions. $25 at NAPA. Our Advance Auto guy originally sold us the purge solenoid, which we changed, and did not fix the problem. They had no clue on the vent solenoid. There was a picture on a thread here which had the AC Delco part number, and NAPA cross referenced it. Everyone was right, pretty much a 10 minute fix. Thanks again guys!

kdulf1 March 17th, 2013 10:18 AM

p0449

Had the PO449 code on my 2005 suburban. Bought $26 evap canister/solenoid from local Chevy dealer and problem fixed. About 30 minutes to take old one off and install new one. Toughest part was disconnecting the clip on the tube coming into the canister. Thanks guys!

2006silveradochick July 30th, 2013 10:27 AM

sorry to resurrect an old thread but wanted to say thank you!

My '06 silverado 5.3 ext cab 5.8 ft box was giving me the tighten gas cap message and threw out codes P0449 and P0455. After researching on here, I pretty much figured out it was the solenoid. Took it to the dealer since we just bought it a month ago. Of course, we were out of the 1 month warranty by a couple days when I took it in but the dealership checked it out under the warranty anyway. They told me it was the solenoid and it was $285 to fix. Thanks to you all and some posts on other forums, I told him I would pass on getting it fixed and went to O'Reilly's. I got the BWD part (took in the AC Delco part number 214-2149 and had them cross reference it). I also picked up 2 feet of 5/8 heater hose and a couple clamps. I was all set to get this done in my driveway and have it done by the time the hubby got home from work. Crawled under my truck and found out that the solenoid on my truck is located between the fuel tank and the frame. What a pain! Ended up taking it to a local shop and explaining the situation to the owner (I take all my vehicles there if it is something I can't fix myself). He said GM has a re-route kit for this. I told him what I learned from you all and the other sites and he said he could get it in today and he would do that for me. $50 later, my truck is fixed and no light! Total cost was about $82. Kind of bummed I had to take it in to be fixed because I really wanted to do it myself but I still saved over $200 from what the dealer wanted to fix it. :D

in2pro July 30th, 2013 10:43 AM

2006silveradochick Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking to time to say that the post worked for you:cool:
Its feed back like that , that makes the forum helpful...

2006silveradochick July 30th, 2013 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 253438)
2006silveradochick Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking to time to say that the post worked for you:cool:
Its feed back like that , that makes the forum helpful...

I find the feedback helpful so I wanted to make sure I left some. We are taking the truck on a long trip this weekend. I am sure it will be fine but if I have any issues with the fix, I will be sure to post back.

The hubby drove the truck to work and back today while I worked on our Jeep (that is his daily driver and the truck is mine) and I drove the truck to work and home tonight and no CEL yet. I am sure it is fixed. That makes me extremely happy!:D

Rooti August 12th, 2013 4:31 PM

What is really a joke is the "old style" solenoid has the same exact number imprinted on the actual part as the upgraded part does. It just doesn't come with the little filter and hose.

Christopher Krumholt August 17th, 2013 12:23 PM

HERE IS THE FIX..... I did it on my 06 crew cab. chevy redesigned it and relocated the vent. If you want to fix it the right way with the same part for a 28$ AC delco part you need to order a evap vent soleniod for a 2006 chevy tahoe or surb. its like under 30 dollars. you will see its stamped with the same numbers as the bad one. Also when you fill up your truck stop topping it off and dont fill your truck up as it runs. I posted a thread with pictures and part numbers about a year ago. when I had my 06

Christopher Krumholt August 17th, 2013 12:26 PM

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...d-53049/page2/

one of my lasts posts on page 2

15Tan00 January 2nd, 2014 8:08 AM

06 Chevy Silverado - P0449 Engine Code

Had the P0449 code on my 2006 Chevy Silverado stating could be purge solenoid or vent solenoid. I replaced the purge solenoid, cost less than $35. I also replaced the emission hose.

One thing to note is the purge solenoid is not near the gas tank as some of the sites and post suggest. For the 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab, 5.3 engine, the purge solenoid is located on the drivers side back seat passenger door.

It unsnapped, unplugged and I had to cut the emission hose to remove the purge solenoid. Once the purge solenoid was replaced drove to AutoZone to check the codes. Removed the code with success. Road tested the fix by driving back home for 500 miles. The check engine light did not and has not returned.

Truck passed emission testing and all is well. Saved myself some major cash by performing the fix myself.

whalerskip February 25th, 2014 9:31 PM

Code PO449 on 2007 Saturn Outlook 3.6 same solution as on full size trucks?

Same code showing up on 2007 Saturn Outlook. Is the fix for this vehicle the same as for full size trucks?

Originally Posted by GHOST169 (Post 158443)
forum was very hepful,especially the pics another member posted,got some 5/8" hose,had two stainless hose clamps,cut the poly shrink tubing off,replaced it,and hope i am done.

Heidi Braunlinger January 5th, 2016 10:30 PM

Got code p0449
06 chevy silverado 1500 v6 8ft bed
Where is evap canister and valve

dontony April 24th, 2017 2:12 AM

7 years after my original post and got the 0449 code again.