Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

7 volts of static draw?

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 volts of static draw?

Have had an issue with this truck for over a year now. I think I fixed the passlock issue but now I'm getting a crazy amount of voltage on the ground side. Can't find what circuit is causing it tho. I unplugged every fuse an relaythat didn't change anything. Then i completely disconnected the fuse block except the power supply wire. It dropped the draw down to 5volts. My father an I are stumped an between the two of us we have been pretty successful with both our vehicles when fixing them. But this has us both stump. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 18th, 2016, 2:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

need info

what is the symptom? Yeah, you have voltage potential, how is that a problem? Do you mean amp draw?
year make model engine?

what circuit are you referring to? Where are you taking the voltage measurements?

If any circuit has voltage after the load...there must be resistance/load before the grd.
Old December 18th, 2016, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Something is drawing 7 volts from the battery. I took a voltage readying from the negative poat on battery to the negative cable. I thought they called it a draw but it could be a drain. The truck is off and I'm seeing 7 volts where I should only be seeing a half a volt or whatever the computer uses while sleeping.
Old December 18th, 2016, 4:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryguy420
Something is drawing 7 volts from the battery. I took a voltage readying from the negative poat on battery to the negative cable. I thought they called it a draw but it could be a drain. The truck is off and I'm seeing 7 volts where I should only be seeing a half a volt or whatever the computer uses while sleeping.
I too, was not in the clear about your original post. If you are looking at the negative battery post to a "ground", and reading 7 volts, tells me that you have a bad ground. Voltmeter reads a difference of potential, in other words with your issue, you are reading 7 volts above (or below) battery ground potential. The battery ground post, and frame ground reading with a volt meter should be 0 or real close to it. What is your issue? Is the battery not holding a charge (i.e)? If you suspect a "drain", then you need to look at both +, and - side at the battery.
Old December 18th, 2016, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=kevinkpk;331017]I too, was not in the clear about your original post. If you are looking at the negative battery post to a "ground", and reading 7 volts, tells me that you have a bad ground. Voltmeter reads a difference of potential, in other words with your issue, you are reading 7 volts above (or below) battery ground potential. The battery ground post, and frame ground reading with a volt meter should be 0 or real close to it. What is your issue? Is the battery not holding a charge (i.e)? If you suspect a "drain", then you need to look at both +, and - side at the battery.[/QUOTEa

Yes my battery isn't holding a charge. We pulled out an briefly inspected power wire to starter and the ground white from battery down to frame under driversude headlight. The ground strap that goes from back of block to cab chassis on firewall is wherr im seeing 7 volts. I got it to go down from 7 volts to 5 volts by unplugging fuse block. Just left feed wire to fuse block all other wires or plugs I unplugged and the draw dropped 2 volts.

Last edited by Ryguy420; December 18th, 2016 at 4:15 PM. Reason: d wording
Old December 18th, 2016, 4:11 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Ryguy420
[QUOTE=Ryguy420;331018]
Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I too, was not in the clear about your original post. If you are looking at the negative battery post to a "ground", and reading 7 volts, tells me that you have a bad ground. Voltmeter reads a difference of potential, in other words with your issue, you are reading 7 volts above (or below) battery ground potential. The battery ground post, and frame ground reading with a volt meter should be 0 or real close to it. What is your issue? Is the battery not holding a charge (i.e)? If you suspect a "drain", then you need to look at both +, and - side at the battery.[/QUOTEa

Yes my battery isn't holding a charge. We pulled out an briefly inspected power wire to starter and the ground white from battery down to frame under driversude headlight. The ground strap that goes from back of block to cab chassis on firewall. I hhoked multi meter to negative post an ground strap.
Is the alternator charging it? I still say ground issue. Check the alternator output with it running at the alternator.
Old December 18th, 2016, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

No its not. It won't start just cranks. When I crank it it kills the battery quick.
Old December 18th, 2016, 5:54 PM
CF Monarch

Can you crank/start it with a jump?
Old December 18th, 2016, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I misread what you said. I'm almost positive ii tested it an it was OK.
Old December 18th, 2016, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

It cranks good for a couple seconds then starts to wind down like the battery is draining.