Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   1999 - 2006 (GMT800) (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/)
-   -   99 Silverado 2500 4l80e fluid change (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/1999-2006-gmt800-108/99-silverado-2500-4l80e-fluid-change-94585/)

Retro_z71 March 13th, 2019 7:02 PM

99 Silverado 2500 4l80e fluid change

Hello I’m new to the form!
I need some input on changing the fluid. It has 219k on the transmission and not sure if it’s been changed or not. I just got the truck about a month ago and just now changed the plugs and wires that were factory and just changed the valve covers that were leaking pretty bad and those were factory also. Didn’t look like to much sludge build up on the heads or valve covers. Anyways replaced those and need some input whether to change it or not. And what fluid to use and put any trans additives in it to make it last longer? It shifts great.
And when I say change I mean just drop the pan and change the filter and fill it back up. Fluid still looks reddish and doesn’t really smell burnt. Trans temp stays at about 150 with no load and 160-180 with a heavy car trailer with a full size truck crusing 60-75 on the highway. I also have a ticking sound when I hold the brake pedal and give it some gas, no it’s not an exhaust leak. Sounds like a flex plate maybe? Any input would be greatly be appreciated!!

Retro_z71 March 13th, 2019 7:04 PM

Originally Posted by Retro_z71 (Post 396008)
Hello I’m new to the form!
I need some input on changing the fluid. It has 219k on the transmission and not sure if it’s been changed or not. I just got the truck about a month ago and just now changed the plugs and wires that were factory and just changed the valve covers that were leaking pretty bad and those were factory also. Didn’t look like to much sludge build up on the heads or valve covers. Anyways replaced those and need some input whether to change it or not. And what fluid to use and put any trans additives in it to make it last longer? It shifts great.
And when I say change I mean just drop the pan and change the filter and fill it back up. Fluid still looks reddish and doesn’t really smell burnt. Trans temp stays at about 150 with no load and 160-180 with a heavy car trailer with a full size truck crusing 60-75 on the highway. I also have a ticking sound when I hold the brake pedal and give it some gas, no it’s not an exhaust leak. Sounds like a flex plate maybe? Any input would be greatly be appreciated!!

Red line for a good time.

tech2 March 13th, 2019 9:51 PM

I would not put any trans additives. some are designed to swell seals. if the trans is working fine...no need for it. change the fluid and filter.

Retro_z71 March 13th, 2019 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 396424)
I would not put any trans additives. some are designed to swell seals. if the trans is working fine...no need for it. change the fluid and filter.

so I would be fine with just changing it? I’ve heard mixed reviews. I just don’t wanna change the fluid and then 1k later it’s slipping and shifting hard.

Irish_alley March 14th, 2019 8:52 PM

change it but dont flush. the reason you hear about "dont change the fluid it will burn up the trans" is because most people ignore transmissions fluid till the trans starts slipping and they change the fluid thinking it will fix it only to have the dying trans go up". truth is if you change the trans fluid and it burns up a week or month later it was going to do it anyway with the old fluid. gm says to change it but not to flush it the only people that say to flush the trans is the shops that bought the equipment to flush a trans. gm says only flush the trans cooler after replacing a trans. but on a side note my moms 99 e150 about 15 years ago when i was a teenager i noticed the trans slipping sometimes. i put in lucas slip fix and she still driving the van around with no issues.

oilcanhenry March 15th, 2019 3:41 AM

Originally Posted by Retro_z71 (Post 396012)

Red line for a good time.

Red Line is GOOD stuff. Expensive as hell but very good.

Doug D March 16th, 2019 9:35 AM

Originally Posted by Irish_alley (Post 399889)
change it but dont flush. the reason you hear about "dont change the fluid it will burn up the trans" is because most people ignore transmissions fluid till the trans starts slipping and they change the fluid thinking it will fix it only to have the dying trans go up". truth is if you change the trans fluid and it burns up a week or month later it was going to do it anyway with the old fluid. gm says to change it but not to flush it the only people that say to flush the trans is the shops that bought the equipment to flush a trans. gm says only flush the trans cooler after replacing a trans. but on a side note my moms 99 e150 about 15 years ago when i was a teenager i noticed the trans slipping sometimes. i put in lucas slip fix and she still driving the van around with no issues.

The Lucas probably softened the seals. When the seals get hard they often leak and the transmission may slip a little. It's eventually going to die, but the Lucas has bought some time. Though I have read of some going many moons and many miles after adding Lucas to a slipping transmission.

Irish_alley March 16th, 2019 3:24 PM

well all trans are going to eventually die lol but i do understand your point